Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an error in the updater. It indicates

"Updating to SpamSieve 2.1.2 SpamSieve will automatically read the corpus and statistics from previous versions. To update to the latest version of SpamSieve, you can simply quit the SpamSieve application and then replace the old application file with the new one. That is, if SpamSieve is installed in the Applications folder, drag the new SpamSieve application icon into the Applications folder and click Replace when the Finder asks if you want to overwrite the old version. "

That is incomplete -the support page ALSO indicates the Apple scripts need to be replaced.
That fixed the erratic SS activity. :D

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My original scripts were from 2.02
The new scripts actually show a version number 2.1.2.

The FAQ on the support site also show the need to put the new scripts in by referring you back to the original installation portion which details that procedure.

If the scripts were not needed in some cases there would be little point in including them in an upgrade.

It may depend on how early your original scripts were. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I hate how entourage stores all your info in a single database. Once the database become corrupted there is not much you can do.

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep seriously stupid system.

There are a couple of repair utilities but backup and it looks like constant pruning etc are the only real answers.
We've been suggesting to clients they leave 7 days worht of mail on the server to cover any gap between backup and current. :cool:

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the amount of spam and general mayhem on the email end of things twice now I've had the full database of Entourage disappear - :mad:
Fortunately a couple levels of backup left no permanent issues except a lot of blue air.

I HAD understood there was a 4 gig limit to Entourage but there still appears to be a porblem as you approach 2 gigs which was the previous limit.

My database was just over 1.7 gigs.

There is a maintenance procedure available that it appears should be run once in a while. Open Entourage with the option key down to bring up a dialogue to compact and repair.

After backing up the database I also stripped all the attachments from anything a few months back.

I'm going to try one of the shareware archiving programs as well.

These steps dropped the database size to 850 megs.

On a related note SpamSieve seems to be having difficulty dealing with the levels of spam being sent in conjunction with the myDoom circulation.

Anyone else with ongoing issues.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Nothing with Entourage, and Spam Sieve caught the mydoom spam without me even having to identify it. In fact, Spam Sieve has been 98.7% accurate for me since roughly the middle of November. No false positives, no false negatives.

Do you have the latest update?

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Yeah, we were doing backups, but what happened is the database became corrupted at some point without showing any symptoms. So the guy gets a message that his database was reaching the max (4 gigs I think) even though in reality it was only about 2.5 gig. So he deleted about half his email but continued to get the same message. Went to his backed up database, but within a day or two the same message popped up. The only solution was to drag all his emials out of entourage, into folders, delete identity then create a new one, then drag emails back in. No problems since.

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes mine was corrupted in the same way yet still worked and the only fix was running the repair program. MS should make people aware of the need to do this - they like their little wizards

I had to run the advanced repair.

I actually now am backing up to different locations so I have both immediate backup and archival - I'll likely do archival once a week - at 850 megs it's worth having a few to go back to.

How does Eudora handle things differently??

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Just out of curoisty, if Entourage has all these issues, why not use a different e-mail program?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The issues only really crop up when your data base starts getting really big, and not many other email clients offer the completely integrated PIM features that Entourage does.

Also, if you were originally using OE for Mac, Entourage is the easiest upgrade path.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
This happened to my wife as we upgraded from the Pismo to the Albook. It was hard to find info about this "known issue".

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Dave, how many times have I told you that using MS Entourage for email is asking for trouble!!

I have nothing against using Entourage, its a great application. Just that the fact that it uses 1 database file for everything is just asking for it.

I switched to the Apple supplied Mail,iChat,AddressBook etc when I switched to OS X 3 years ago for the simple fact that everything is separate yet works together. Mail uses separate MBOX files for each folder you create so its safer.

You might want to consider moving your mail over just in case. Of course backups are very important, my DLT library has saved my butt once and that certainly paid for itself the first time.

Motto of the story people:
Apple is using the UNIX approach to things, make great apps that do single things very well but tie their capabilities together in a way that makes sense.
The MS approach is to make a huge program that tries to do everything while making some sacrifices. Usually a pretty big sacrifice. Oh, and backup you data!!

·
Premium Member
30,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't like Mail but I might consider Eudora.
Perhaps another couple of iterations of Mail might convince me.
A combination of holding mail on the server for 7 days and daily backup has been a life saver and really this is the only issue that has come up but I agree the concept of a single file appears stupid.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
I just can't trust information this important to a Microsoft application. Since switching , I've been using Mail, Address Book and iCal. I tried Entourage but found it seriously bulky and bloated. Very uncomfortable even compared to Outlook in my previous PC life.
I love the simplicity of the Apple apps. They took some getting used to but wouldn't give them up without a fight.
Then again, everyone has their own persoanal prefs.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
My wife uses Entourage and for the most part, it works great. I find it's infinitely more powerful than Mail.

I use Mail and am not happy with it. The only feature I really like is spam filtering/bouncing. I constantly have difficulty logging onto mail servers and there's one server that Mail has just stopped collecting mail from. I continue to use Mail just because I'm lazy and I can't find a way to export the messages out of Mail.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
If you want to export your email from Mail its very simple. Mail uses the standard MBOX mail format that a lot of UNIX systems use.

The only caveat is the actual MBOX file is stored in a package. If you go to ~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes you will see all your mailboxes ending in .mbox. THIS IS NOT A FILE, its a package. Right-click (control-click for those still suffering from Apple's 1-button abomination) on the mailbox you want to "export" and select "show package contents". In there you will see a file called mbox. This is the actual mailbox. The other files in there are cache and index files (part of Mail's superfast search function).

Make copies of each of them and rename them appropriately, make sure you end them with .mbox, then you will have to change the file type to MBOX (all CAPS) (use Super Get Info from Barebones or something else) and you can use the Import option in Entourage to import the file (select from a text file, then standard MBOX format).

There you go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts