Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a republication of an article that the Mercury News ran when the original Mac launched.

As I went through it I had a few good laughs. If you ever wanted a textbook definition of the adage "The more things change, the more they stay the same", this is it.

See how many parallels you can draw from the state of the Mac in 1984 to today.

A few e.g.'s, the price, the rumours/leaks (I love the comments from those who signed NDAs), the concern that the machine won't sell to big business, the bump up of the launch to make the cover of Newsweek, MacWrite/MacPaint - the original iLife apps available free if you bought a new machine, the preannounced deal with Microsoft for s/w support etc.

Sadly a couple of things have not carried forward to today (like the steep discounts for students/faculty).

Good for a chuckle or two though...

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
"Macintosh buyers will get a computer that operates unusually quickly and is directed by a mouse - a handheld device that, when slid across a table top, moves the cursor on the Mac's screen."

Holy Crap!! Look at this new product!!
The world is about to change!! :)

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
LOL! Now, here's an interesting snapshot of the times, when you actually HAD TO give a description to Microsoft:

"Within the next few months, Microsoft Inc., a Bellvue, Wash. software publisher closely allied with IBM, is scheduled to introduce a spreadsheet package for making financial projections, a graphing package and the Basic programming language."

Heh... can you say "the early days"?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.