Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a new WD 120GB (8mb) HD into my computer, and I am now noticing a new "feature" in the energy saver system preference (Mabey I should call it the lack of feature).
Gone are the days when you can tell your hard drives when to sleep, now all you have is an option to "Put to sleep when possible", this has caused me nothing but grief lately. Since the system drive is always in use it rarely sleeps, but as soon as we try to access or write a file to one of the other 2 HD's in my machine, we are forced to wait while it spins up, it is driving me crazy!!

I have sent my feedback to apple about this, but in the meantime, does anybody know of a utility that will replace this function while I wait for Apple (Which might be like waiting for the return of Christ!)??

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Personally, on any version of any OS (Windows, Linux, Mac) I have always found sleep to be flaky. I never use it on a desktop system. As far as I'm concerned, it's for portables, period.

Turn off your monitor (saves about 300 watts, or about 2-3 cents an hour). Forget about the rest. Your life will be much simpler.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts