Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone,

I'm hoping that the answer to this question will be obvious to those with in-depth knowledge - is this combination of software/hardware at the end of it's working life?

Our laptop is the Mid-2011 13" MB Air. It's unable to progress past Mac OS 10.10.5 according to eligible updates. We're now finding that almost every website we try to access thru Safari will not load - running into certificate issues. My suspicion is that our laptop is now drifting off into the lonely plateau of no-longer-supported products.

Am I correct? Is there anything else to do here? It's still a light, efficient and perfectly functional laptop for email and loading web pages. I recently refreshed the battery. And in all the years I have been running Macs (aprox 25?), I don't think I have ever had one that actually was finally disabled by lack of access to essential updates.

Thanks in advance - Grant.

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
You can update the system further, but the age (specifically the graphics) limits functionality of some features.

*This system fully supports the last version of OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion," OS X 10.9 "Mavericks," and OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" as well as OS X 10.11 "El Capitan," but advanced feature support is limited to Mac-to-Mac AirDrop, AirPlay Mirroring, and Power Nap. Other major features are not supported. It is capable of running macOS Sierra (10.12) as well, although it does not support the Universal Clipboard, Auto Unlock, or Apple Pay features. Finally, this model is capable of running macOS High Sierra (10.13), and it supports HEVC (High-Efficiency Video Coding), but it does not support hardware accelerated HEVC. It is not compatible with macOS Mojave (10.14) or later versions of the operating system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi smashedbanana,

Thanks for this. Since we're not able to update beyond OS 10.10 with the App Store, how would you go about this?

I would be interested in going straight to 10.13. Our only needs on this computer are email, and loading Safari web pages.

Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
Firefox is a better browser choice given the age of your OS. Safari tends to get long in the tooth when you can no longer keep your OS out on the bleeding edge.

You might find it worthwhile going up a step at least to ElCapitan. Most of us can get by nicely without those features that would be disabled. I believe the 8GB of RAM you are running would be up to the task, especially as you are not into video editing.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hi smashedbanana,

Thanks for this. Since we're not able to update beyond OS 10.10 with the App Store, how would you go about this?

I would be interested in going straight to 10.13. Our only needs on this computer are email, and loading Safari web pages.

Much appreciated.

The app store will have the old ones hidden

Follow these links, should take you to your app store and the download will become visible.

How to get old versions of macOS

or direct:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-high-sierra/id1246284741?mt=12

·
Premium Member
16,083 Posts
Our laptop is the Mid-2011 13" MB Air. It's unable to progress past Mac OS 10.10.5 according to eligible updates. We're now finding that almost every website we try to access thru Safari will not load - running into certificate issues. My suspicion is that our laptop is now drifting off into the lonely plateau of no-longer-supported products.
Your Mac model is quite capable of dealing with modern internet stuff and it sounds like you haven't heard but the browser certificate problem is affecting all Mac users including those who can and are running the latest Mac OS versions,

You will probably notice or recall that the website access and certificate problem started towards the end of September, and until there is a software patch created which some of us may never receive you can override the certificate settings and keychain access by telling it to trust the certificate.

It's all rather involved and it's not exactly simple but you could try Googling the internet for various workarounds.

And just for the records, I am using a 2011 iMac and a Mac OS Mavericks 10.9.5 because I choose to do so for various reasons, mainly because a lot of the applications I use of not being stripped all features I used as Apple did with later versions.

You could also try using Firefox or Google Chrome and see if they work better than your Apple Safari.

Bottom line and to answer your question, that Mac still has a lot of very good used full life left in it.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
47 Posts
Somebody already covered being able to update to 10.13, I would just like to add I haven’t used Safari as my main browser in at least a decade. Because of everything from graphics to diagnostic apps I’m not one to hop on every new OS update with my daily driver. I have found both Chrome or Firefox to be more stable as they both keep their browsers updated. Apple after a couple of OS version updates or so does not keep Safari updated for modern Internet needs.

I’ve always preferred Chrome. Even if you’re running 10.11 it will work with the latest version of Chrome whereas the old version of Safari in 10.11 has a lot of problems with Internet-based things. It’s Apple’s way of forcing people to upgrade their OS and or their hardware.

·
Premium Member
16,083 Posts
It’s Apple’s way of forcing people to upgrade their OS and or their hardware.
Well then, Apple certainly did a lousy job in my case as Safari quit working properly many years ago with too many sites I visited and used, but my now outdated Google Chrome still keeps on working as does Firefox which is still fully supported in the Mavericks OS 10.9.5 that I prefer to use with my 2011 27" iMac.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
42,901 Posts
I’ve always preferred Chrome. Even if you’re running 10.11 it will work with the latest version of Chrome whereas the old version of Safari in 10.11 has a lot of problems with Internet-based things. It’s Apple’s way of forcing people to upgrade their OS and or their hardware.
Running some legacy software on a 2008 Mac, I had to downgrade the computer to Yosemite, then download software from there. Only Chrome was up to the task.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Brave is generally the best browser around but not sure how far back is supported..no harm to try.

Firefox is getting dated and Safari gets painful at times.
Chrome stays reasonable up-to-date and good for banking etc tho Brave also performs
...I'm just to lazy to move all the links. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most Apple products have a 5-year support lifecycle, which means they'll get software upgrades such as bug fixes, patches, and security updates during that time. Until then, Apple considers macOS and iOS devices to be "unsupported" due to hardware obsolescence. Due to hardware limits, Apple has stopped providing continuous software and operating system updates to its macOS and iOS devices. This is because, as hardware ages, it becomes unable to support newer programs that may be beyond its capabilities thoroughly. And even a simpler example, I wasn't able to convert video to mp3 on Mac because I didn't have the most appropriate IOS version for that ))

1 - 11 of 11 Posts