Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I enabled that emoji stuff on my Telus iphone (3gs, OS 4.0.1)

I can send them no problem to other Telus iphone users and Rogers iphone users, and I sent one to myself (it worked), however when Rogers users send them to me they just show up as the letter y....any idea why or how to fix this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Emoji, as implemented on the iPhone, works between iPhone to iPhone and should be carrier agnostic. If Emoji is enabled on both the sender and receiver's device they should be able to send the glyphs to each other.

Make sure that your sender is actually sending Emoji using the Emoji keyboard and not a character from a 3rd party app or site?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are both using the same thing exactly...I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Both setup the keyboard in the exact same way.

Also like I said, they receive mine fine (Telus to Rogers), they can send to their Rogers pals (and receive), and I can send to my Telus pals (and receive)....but the only missing link is for them to send it to me, from Rogers to Telus.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wonder if anyone else can recreate this.

I have no fix for you but the only explanation that comes to mind is that one of the operators is processing text messages in a way that is inadvertently converting the text of these messages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've opened a ticket today after finding that other people have the same issue...not even with trying to send emoticons but with other languages (I guess it's the same issue).

It's the 3rd party vendor Telus uses to receive these messages, that for some reason isn't coding them properly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Use old-school ASCII emoticons :) :O :D X)

Carriers here don't support Emoji and don't have to. This is an entirely unsupported technology by carrier and by handset manufacturer, emoji on iPhone is only available in Japan for licensing reasons, so while this should work over any network I wouldn't expect your provider to fix it for you.

It's not a standarised technology so that it works at all over here, in a limited capacity, is a happy accident.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.