Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like an odd request - but I am looking for a free email program where provider doesn't give a long list of what they can do and how they can screen my emails.

I believe the Canadian ISP providers do this - ie my emails are not subject to their browsing and understand the biggies - Google, Yahoo and any other US one has no such qualms (to leave my email in peace).

We have done a little research and find that Nili is a Canadian provider - so would be subject to the Canadian laws (because they house the emails in Canada) - however, I have applied to them for an email address (over a month ago) and have not heard back - so I have no idea when they might deign to 'invite' me to have a new address.

DH has searched out other alternatives and finds that proton.com is European (Swiss I think) based and emails are very private. However, they only offer an 'app' and the emails can not be put into my mail account.

Does anyone know of a private provider of emails -preferably free?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Canadian-based private email is one of the selling points of the Chebucto Community Net's email services. Their fee for a year is $125, but no-one is turned away for inability to pay. There may be a Community Net in your area with similar or better options.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
I'm not so sure Nili is actually legit.

On their website they first state:
Nili Free eMail
If you are a Canadian, then you have been invited to join our community. Create an eMail account and stay connected with your friends and families.

And then - after you provide your personal information, they come back and tell you this is by invitation only and they will contact you after they expand their infrastructure.
For all I know they could just be collecting email addresses for spamming.

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
*SNIP*DH has searched out other alternatives and finds that proton.com is European (Swiss I think) based and emails are very private. However, they only offer an 'app' and the emails can not be put into my mail account.

Does anyone know of a private provider of emails -preferably free?

Thank you
I have been using gmx.net for around twenty years now. They are based in Germany, offer POP3 and IMAP, web access and mail client access using any email client you like, and free.

The only issue you might have is that the whole site is only in German, and any emails you receive from them (say, a daily list of emails that have been caught in your spam folder for example) are in German. It's not an issue for me since I do speak German, but YMMV.

There is an English counterpart called gmx.com which is the English version, but I do not know whether they have POP3 or IMAP access. I know they do have web access.

Cheers

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not so sure Nili is actually legit.

On their website they first state:
Nili Free eMail
If you are a Canadian, then you have been invited to join our community. Create an eMail account and stay connected with your friends and families.

And then - after you provide your personal information, they come back and tell you this is by invitation only and they will contact you after they expand their infrastructure.
For all I know they could just be collecting email addresses for spamming.
Yeh - beginning to think there might be some ulterior motives. I even emailed their support but they advise they do not have access to the application queue and cannot tell how far away from the top - my info is.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been using gmx.net for around twenty years now. They are based in Germany, offer POP3 and IMAP, web access and mail client access using any email client you like, and free.

The only issue you might have is that the whole site is only in German, and any emails you receive from them (say, a daily list of emails that have been caught in your spam folder for example) are in German. It's not an issue for me since I do speak German, but YMMV.

There is an English counterpart called gmx.com which is the English version, but I do not know whether they have POP3 or IMAP access. I know they do have web access.

Cheers
Thank you - will check them out....when my browser will let me check out websites - have just posted an issue we seem to be having - so when I go to that website - I get only text (you know - like the bare bones website)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts