Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just after purchasing it, I read all kinds of horror stories and was on edge for a long time.
I have had my eMac for almost a year now and have had no problems, except that the screen blinks when waking up. Other than that, it has been perfect.
I am wondering how other ehMac members have faired with their eMac, and what were the problems.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
My retailer's experience with eMacs indicates the inherent problems on many were obvious almost immediately. Approximately 30% of all units he has sold suffered from video issues related to hardware. Once replaced under warranty, very few came back.

I would suggest your own track record with the eMac should provide some assurance you're clear of this issue. Seems you're in the 70% sector of problem free units.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
153 Posts
i have an eMac and the thing hasn't failed me *touch wood*
I had some problems with OS 10.1.5, but they seem to have all been fixed in Jag

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Well, anyone who had no problems with their eMac should also play the next Super 7 draw. The horror was well documented - to the point where they became recommended - to your worst enemy. On paper - the likely replacement to the iMac. Then they hit retail. Nightmares. I was looking to buy one when it was still and edu. only sold item - but started to read funny things. Even Macdoc posted his notes on his ite and was forced to highlight the issues, and thus not rec them any longer.

Apple kept dropping the price of the unit as well. I hear that they have some new models hitting the shelves very soon.

·
Premium Member
30,889 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
macbruce wrote:
except that the screen blinks when waking up. Other than that, it has been perfect.
Now I have not seen your screen blink when it wakes from a sleep but I believe that it is supposed to do that.

It is called degauss.

Sherlock definition: Degauss - To neutralize the magnetic field.

The Magnetic field of your CRT monitor on the eMac.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had my emac for 8 months now and so far so good,, i'm very happy with it, and the 17inch screen is beautiful..I think most of the horror stories started with the very first shipping eMacs...the only thing i regret is not getting the one with the dvdr in it...but that will change soon enough..

Love my eMac

eMac 700mhz, 40gig, 768mb, 5gig iPod, DVD/CDRW and the eMac stand

·
Registered
42 Posts
I"ve had my emac since september last year.
No problems whatsoever.

As fo the screen blinking when it starts up or comes out of sleep, it is degausing.

I havn't had any problems with this unit, and have left it on for weeks, I do quite a bit of photo editing and video editing and it hasn't let me down yet.
I just recently purchased an ibook 800 for portability. They seem the same speed in usability, but when it comes down to render etc, the emac is faster.

I definately would recommend it to anyoen wanting a lower end G4. Just get the one with the superdrive though, its well with the few extra hundred bucks (which i regretfully didnt do)

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I have had my eMac since last July and love it to death! What a great machine!

The screen is supposed to "blink" upon wake-up from sleep or when turning on for the first time in a day. It is even in the Apple knowledge base.

However, the eMac screen is NOT suppored to flicker gently at the bottom corners of the screen...as mine has started to do recently. Apple has advised me to take it in to get it repaired. I also think I am going to get Apple care for this Mac. ;)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
GreekGuy, glad to hear that all is well wih your eMac. I too think that it's a hot unit when looking for a lower end G4. Yes - the 1st few were the ones with the issues. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
As far as I know, the dreaded eMac CRT/Video Board issue was with the initial CD-RW models only, and fixed with the introduction of the Combo/Super Drive models. At least, I never saw or heard of an issue with the combo drive model.

Also, as opposed to what was mentioned above, I think anyone who DID have problems with their eMac should play the lotttery, because out of all the ones I sold only one ever had the issue, and it was fixed quite quickly by Apple.

--PB

·
Registered
344 Posts
i've had my emac for 8 months now and no problems some more ram wouldn't fix. i love it.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Maybe it's because I work in a computer store, but I really don't think that Apple machines are noisy. Even the MDD PowerMacs that we have (and have had) on display, while being louder than I am used to a powermac sounding, really arent that bad. Especially when compared to the PC machines we sell.

--PB

1 - 15 of 15 Posts