Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are purchasing a new computer. But we are of two minds. Mine and his. I feel the iMac is a better computer he thinks the eMac maybe what we need. As we speak I am on a loaner computer since my graphiite SE DVD is in the shop. The CRT picture tube is gone. Not a common thing on iMacs, however, it happened to mine. What are your ideas?

·
Registered
65 Posts
My vote goes to the eMac.
I use an iMac at work and I have an eMac at home.

I find the eMac much faster than the iMac. The new eMac is even faster than mine, plus it comes with a CD?DVD combo CD burner. The iMac is read only.

Let us know which way you go.

Good Luck!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
My vote is the iMac 17" Superdrive.

Nicer screen, larger screen, DDR memory (Double Data Rate), 64MB of Video Memory, and very sexy to look at.

But if the price scares you then get to top line eMac w/ superdrive.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you are going with price then get the eMac. If you want the latest technology go with the iMac. I would go with the iMac because of the memory and graphics card alone. I would also recommend the latest 17" iMac Superdrive.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
it all depends on how much you have to spend. talk to macdoc. he has some great open architecture deals. thats the only drawback woth the imac and emac. i had an 2 different emacs and both of them failed. one blew up(really!!!) and the other's screen got a bad case of the wiggles. so i went with the iMac. it was awesome. no problems at all.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i own an imac, and i love it. i have used emacs as well. i find if you are doing lots of layout stuff then the imac is much easier on the eyes, if you are doing lots of video stuff then go with the emac, the refresh rate on the crt is much better. like it was said before technically speaking the new imac is better but more expensive. also keep in mind, as much as i love my imac i wish i could upgrade a lot more. you are stuck with just ram and if you're talented your hd. i'm buying a powermac here soon only a year since i bought my imac.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
eMac ALL THE WAY!!!

The screen is far more clear than an iMac and it is not loud at all.

Why pay extra for the flashy LCD and overturned salad bowl (even if they are drool-worthy) when you can get an equally matched eMac for way cheaper and a crisper screen?

I love my eMac.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For the price and performance and for better video display (refresh) get the eMac.

I was in the same predicament and am happy that i got the emac vs the iMac..

·
Banned
97 Posts
There are reasons why the iMac is more expensive than the eMac. They are all good reasons, too. Go with the iMac. I know of a school with 30 new eMacs, and a quarter of them have had problems. Video. LCD is the only way to fly. Even Stevie the WonderBoy stated that the CRT is DEAD. Martha Stewart will probably buy a new 17 inch iMac for her prison cell.

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
It's a very basic price question.

If the budget is tight, there's simply no better value for your Mac Money than the eMac series. A great screen, a G4 processor, and loads of ports. Will expand to a decent amount of RAM. Space-conscious. Plus, it appears that they've gotten most of the early production quality problems out of the way (and besides, that's what the 1-year warranty is for, right?).

On the other hand... ohmigod, the flat-panel iMac is to die for. Once you've used one for any length of time, it is so hard to go back to a "normal" computer. That pivoting / tilting screen that swivels out of your way or for showing others in the room what' you're doing or to get rid of the sun's glare after it's creeped across the room during the 15 hours you've found yourself sitting in front of it and, my, doesn't time fly when you're having fun? The totally cool teeny-tiny half-basketball computer, the stereo speakers that can be postioned (unlike the eMac's)..... sigh...

The eMac is a great machine, no doubt, but it's a hard animal to put up with if you haven't spent the additional $95 for the tilt-n-swivel stand, which makes the price comparison a little more tough....

Good Luck! You'll end up loving whichever Mac you bring home.

M.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think another consideration is what you want to use the machine for, relative to what you want to spend.

On the one hand, you can really soupe up an eMac for the same price as a base iMac - the value is greater.

But on the other hand, the iMac is technically superior to the eMac, and the screen really is to die for.

I agree with the others that say either machine will be great!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good Morning,
Thank you for your replies, you all have given me much to think about. It will be used for work a bit but mostly for purely entertainment value. I am pretty sure I am going with the 17" iMac with superdrive. Please keep posting, I enjoy reading everyone's favorite and why.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Marilee I think you should get the iMac for many reasons, the biggest reason , it is better looking and like everything else in life the better it looks the more it costs!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Supernova

Welcome to ehMac! The decision is over, we ordered the iMac. Thanks for all your help. PS Hey Supernova finally after 20 years, you see things the way I do
I am working tonight, see you tomorrow evening! Shall we say bbq? Let me know!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Danette,

Helen was asking about you today at work we surmised you may have been sipping a rum punch and tanning on the deck on such a lovely afternoon.

I am so excited about my new iMac, it arrives next week!!! My other iMac is still at the shop and haven't heard from them, won't return my calls. SIgh. I hope I don't have to get apple involved again, but I sure will if needs be.

The place where I bought my Mac offered on site warranty, but the person who does the repairs is the same place where I am having all the trouble so I just went with apple's three year.

Trials and tribulations of being one of the elite. (Apple customers) on this island.

Have you been enjoying these great days? It was Marc's last night tonight. Sigh not too many of the old crew left anymore.

Anyway, I must run.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts