ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time no post well I have a question I am considering getting a emac this weekend depending on the craigslist deal and was wondering do all emacs have DVD readers Wikipedia says they do and every Mac says they don’t I have no info on this Mac and am setting the bar low if I get a original and if they don’t all have DVDs are the emac compatible with pc drive I just disassembled my aunt emachine only to find the mother board was dead so I finally convinced her to get a Mac and she gave me the emachine which has all sorts of parts.
Thanks Allot Performa Lover

·
Premium Member
17,728 Posts
I am pretty sure that some earlier eMacs that were sold only to schools had only CD capability.

My eMac is one of the earlier consumer eMacs and did indeed have a CD-RW/DVD-R optical drive.

OTH you can add an external FireWire DVD writer for less than $100 new. I did so rather than replace the dying internal drive.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Long time no post well I have a question I am considering getting a emac this weekend depending on the craigslist deal and was wondering do all emacs have DVD readers Wikipedia says they do and every Mac says they don’t I have no info on this Mac and am setting the bar low if I get a original and if they don’t all have DVDs are the emac compatible with pc drive I just disassembled my aunt emachine only to find the mother board was dead so I finally convinced her to get a Mac and she gave me the emachine which has all sorts of parts.
Thanks Allot Performa Lover
Some of them have Combo drives - will read and write CD-R's, but only read DVDs. If it's one of the newer eMacs, though, the optical drive is really easy to replace. That said, many eMacs have the SuperDrive DVD burner. You can tell what kind that particular eMac was supplied with by opening the drive door with a fingernail and reading the label inside.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure what I am getting yet the person selling it still hasnt emailed me back but this could be cool my hopes are to get it running leopard but that all depends on the procesor I can do a Ram upgrade and hopefuly it already has a super drive thanks for all you input

·
Premium Member
17,728 Posts
Checked my MacTracker apps.

Some eMacs did indeed ship with straight 32x CD drives. Most early consumer eMacs shipped with the combo drive which would read DVDs. Especially true after Jaguar was released. Later eMacs tended to ship with Super Drives. Again even with the later models, educational versions often shipped with just combo drives.

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
Due to personal experience; steer clear of the 1.25GHz ones. And if you do find yourself one that you like, be sure to open up the ram access door and look for bursted capacitors.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
I am not sure what I am getting yet the person selling it still hasnt emailed me back but this could be cool my hopes are to get it running leopard but that all depends on the procesor I can do a Ram upgrade and hopefuly it already has a super drive thanks for all you input
From personal experience, I can assure you that a 1 GHz eMac at least will run Leopard just fine.

·
Premium Member
3,336 Posts
your enjoyment of leopard will most likely be more RAM dependant than processor dependant...

I have seen leopard running on many machines with higher than 1GHz processors but only the minimum 512MB of RAM and it is just *painful*

like..."go back to tiger as fast you can" painful

1 - 9 of 9 Posts