Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geez you would think since Apple posted their problem about the Monitor glitch, they would have fixed this in production!

Lucky me, I just bought the eMac and left the computer on screen-saver overnight. Low and behold, the monitor died the following morning. Now I got to waste a whole day (I live in a rural area) driving to a Apple tech and see if it can be fixed. Needless to say I am NOT a happy camper. For the others who also had a monitor problem after just purchasing, what exactly was the problem? How long did you wait for the computer to get the parts it needed?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Sorry to hear abour your problems!!! I am (knock wood) an eMac owner who has not had these problems. However, I hear that it can take up to a week or two before parts can be received (this also depends on where you are in BC).

If you are in Vancouver, Victoria or even Kamloops, I suppose it would be quick. If you are in, say the Kootenays, it would be harder.

I hope you get your problem fixed quickly and with no hassles.

Cheers,
VertiGoGo

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
I had two eMacs. 1 blew up and the other one had the shakey monityor problem.I just couldnt get another eMac so i took it back and got the flat panel iMac. No problems whatsoever. Great little system this is..i love macs!!!

chris

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks VertiGoGo. I am about a hour outside of Vancouver. I got a fairly good deal from a placed called dMac ( discount mac club ).

It is also the place I am getting it serviced. They said a max. of 2 days. Hopefully it will be the last problem I have. Funny though I thought I had the new model (not the ones from september with the video problem) because the dvd firmware was up-to-date. I guess Apple still has not fixed their QA problems.

Oh btw for those looking for warranties, dMac still selling Apple's 3 year warranties for the same old price before apple hiked it up. Grab them while you still can.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
wow... more eMac issues. Getting harder and harder to justify the purchase.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohenri, I still think its the best deal for the buck right now. Considering that the 800Mhz comes with the superdrive, It just appears since they posted the tech note on the eMacs about their video problem several months ago, Apple hasn't made any further attempt to retify this in production. I am probably wrong.
All computers are not immune to problems. No matter what you buy. This should not hinder on your decision in any future purchase. 98% of the time I never had a problem with any Macs I own or worked with. I still have a LC520 25Mhz machine that still running as good as it did from day one. This is a 7 year old machine!

So in saying that, this is actually the first time in 12 years in working with a Mac I had a hardware problem.

I would have been more upset if I had poor service from the people I bought the machine from. They been great with their customer support and told me this morning they will courier the computer out free of charge (same day delivery).

·
Registered
933 Posts
There's a good thread running on MacFixit on this topic. There has been input from dealers who list the return rate for the video problems (and there are several flavours of these) at b/w 15-50%.

The biggest problem is that Apple not infrequently provides the dealers with replacement boards that have the same problem and has a policy of not funding re-returns after a problem has been "fixed". This puts the dealers on the hook for installing faulty video boards and has led to a number of them refusing to sell any more eMacs.

As an aside, one of the anonymous dealer messages was apparently froma Vancouver based shop who reported an 18% failure/return rate.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I honestly do not believe that Apple would not issue a recall if the problem was as widespread as close to 50% of machines. Please take "facts" at MacFixIt with a grain of salt...especially from anon "dealers."

Other than myself, I have four friends and one business associate who have all purchased 800MHz eMacs...not a single unit has had the video problems we're talking about.

This is not to say that there are not a significant number of people who have experienced this dreadful bug, but is it really as bad as some make it out to be?

It would be nice if some of our ehMac dealers would chime in here on this.

Sincerely yours,
VertiGoGo (a satisfied eMac owner)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I was from get go, the biggest supporter of the eMac. Even when it was going to be offered only to schools (my bro's a webmaster for a University - my base was covered). The specs were perfect. I was totally into getting one. But all these monitor issues are not smooth at all. With all of that, I may be leaning towards a Flat panel... dunno.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mackey: Ohenri, I still think its the best deal for the buck right now. Considering that the 800Mhz comes with the superdrive, It just appears since they posted the tech note on the eMacs about their video problem several months ago, Apple hasn't made any further attempt to retify this in production. I am probably wrong.
All computers are not immune to problems. No matter what you buy. This should not hinder on your decision in any future purchase. 98% of the time I never had a problem with any Macs I own or worked with. I still have a LC520 25Mhz machine that still running as good as it did from day one. This is a 7 year old machine!

So in saying that, this is actually the first time in 12 years in working with a Mac I had a hardware problem.

I would have been more upset if I had poor service from the people I bought the machine from. They been great with their customer support and told me this morning they will courier the computer out free of charge (same day delivery).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VertiGoGo:
This is not to say that there are not a significant number of people who have experienced this dreadful bug, but is it really as bad as some make it out to be?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its hard to judge from fact or fiction other than to govern by my own experience and take the rest as 'grain of salt".

From what being said on apple's own forum, there seem to be some people which are being repeatedly having their eMac repaired in a very short period of time. I hope this doesn't happen to me. I won't wait for this 3 strikes policy. I will demand that they take back this eMac and I'll go with the iMac.

Its just scary to see this now where a couple of weeks ago there was only an odd complaint about the monitor. I took that as a grain of salt and decided to buy the eMac anyway. Since having the machine for one day and then monitor dying on me, you can't help but wonder what is fact and what is fiction? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well i must be one of the lucky ones other then a faulty 512ram chip i put in myself I've had no problems yet(knock on wood)..i still think for the money and the specs the eMac is a good way to go..besides thew 17 flat sceen is gorgeous..i even purchased my eMac at future shop....Macs still rule...

Silverboy..anybody know where i can get a wacom tablet or something cheaper?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE:
My emac is now home, fixed and working well for the past few hours. Cross your fingers and hope it stays fixed. :D

The problem was the video/logic board. The same problem that been going around with some of the others on apple forum. The tech was able to get the part he needed with 2 working days. He even had the computer sent by "same day" courier (free of charge) so that I didn't have to drive 1-1/2 hours back to get it. That is what I call service!

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Seems to be a temporary problem with a part. Apple has had problems like this before. I'm almost 100% certain there's no design flaw. Probably a flaw in the parts they had ordered from an OEM. Give it a month or two - and see what the failure rate is by then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts