ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded my eMac's hard drive to a 300GB Hitachi DeskStar, but now when I tried to re-install my OS, it freezes up after a few seconds. Any advice?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its now freezing before the disk even boots up and once when it was searching for a disk, and the crt is not warming up all the time after I reset the PRAM but it might be all the hard shutdowns. Hoping I did not screw something up when I was inside there.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts

·
Funny Fellow
430 Posts
I am not familiar with "eMacs" but my first thought is heat. What RPM did you have and what RPM did you buy?

Second thought is the cable. Possible that the cable got damaged. Replace cable.....what do you got to lose by trying?

Third though.....faulty Hard Drive. Replace/RMA Hard Drive.

Thanks to the link provided by TE...I would try the cable replacement one. Go for the 133 model ( The 100 has large "veins" while the 133 has smaller ones ).

That is an oldie but a goldie. :lmao:

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
I am not familiar with "eMacs" but my first thought is heat. What RPM did you have and what RPM did you buy?

Second thought is the cable. Possible that the cable got damaged. Replace cable.....what do you got to lose by trying?

Thanks to the link provided by TE...I would try the cable replacement one. Go for the 133 model ( The 100 has large "veins" while the 133 has smaller ones ).

:rolleyes: - Old Computers always have Tech Support....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Will try replacing the cable, the hard drive work I pulled it out a external setup that was connected to the mac with time machine backups, but then it hit me this thing doesn't have anything important on it to backup so I threw the hard drive in and then this. And to answer Tech Elementez the computer stays on, sometime the crt does not come on with it I here the drive spinning up.

PS
Will any old IDE Cablle work

M

·
0 Posts
Not any old IDE cable, you want one of the high speed ones (they are often yellow with blue ends and are a bit stiffer than the older ones).

That said have you double checked that the jumper settings are correct on the drive? It should be set to master (not cable select or slave).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not any old IDE cable, you want one of the high speed ones (they are often yellow with blue ends and are a bit stiffer than the older ones).

That said have you double checked that the jumper settings are correct on the drive? It should be set to master (not cable select or slave).
The jumpers are set right I triple checked. For trouble shooting purposes would a any old IDE cable work, Just think I will try one I have before buying a highspeed one and find out its not the problems. Also would the drive have to be highspeed IDE?

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
The jumpers are set right I triple checked. For trouble shooting purposes would a any old IDE cable work, Just think I will try one I have before buying a highspeed one and find out its not the problems. Also would the drive have to be highspeed IDE?
It seems like the HD should be a ATA/ATAPI-6 HD, which is what the original HD in the eMac is...

However, I cannot seem to find any details on how you can identify a ATA/ATAPI-6 HD.... Parallel ATA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Funny Fellow
430 Posts
Not all "newer IDE cables" have the colors at the ends. Just look for very fine wires. 80 wire compared to 40 wire.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
eMacs were a PITA to take apart and put back together without issues I have one that someone made a mess out of that I bought used and got screwed over on because they mixed and matched a bunch of parts and then didn't put screws back in where there should have been.

My first thought is that a ribbon cable is not seated properly somewhere, not as bad as the G4 iMac but these guys are so tightly packed.

The other thought, PRAM battery.

I keep thinking there was something different about the jumper setup on these guys, did you compare the new settings to the ones on the old drive? For some reason I also keep thinking these had to be set master/slave vs CS because of the cable used but I could be foggy on my memory. Could also be a smoked PS but I think they used non Cable Select cables back then.

This might also be of interest, re bad capacitors.... https://discussions.apple.com/thread/873291?start=0&tstart=0

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the delay in response but I just swapped out the hard drive to the original one that was not freezing but the mac is still freezing, also tried new cable still freezing. Also the hard drive had leopard on it but it wont even boot that just endless loading. Any answers?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts