ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here own an electric fireplace or know anything about them? If so, is there something I should watch out for when purchasing?

I'll likely be going shopping for one this weekend. The nights are getting cool and I'd like to have something that looks nice to take a bit of chill out of the air in the living room.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,725 Posts
We bought a small unit for the living room. Shortly after the warranty expired the the flame rotisserie locked up however the heating portion still works fine. Does solve the cold living room problem but 1.5KW means about 15¢/hour to operate.

·
Resident Hijacker
8,758 Posts
I have one that came with my condo--previous owner included it. I've put it into my bedroom. Still works fine, the I wish she had built it into a thinner mantle.

It does warm up a room nicely, and I kind of like the hum of the fan as white noise to sleep. The flames in it are not bad, but I have seen ones that are more realistic.

If I were purchasing one, though, I'd prefer the ones that burn ethanol gel.... those aren't cheap, but I like the realistic flames, and I'm told they do heat things up. (No venting required--it burns clean and output water vapour.)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If I were purchasing one, though, I'd prefer the ones that burn ethanol gel.... those aren't cheap, but I like the realistic flames, and I'm told they do heat things up. (No venting required--it burns clean and output water vapour.)
Open-flame fireplaces have one advantage that electric's
do not, they take the humidity out of the air.

Even a pilot light in a basement rec-room fireplace is enough to make quite a difference in the dampness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts