Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've written an ehMac widget for Konfabulator which is available for download here.

It's a pretty simple widget. All it does is poll ehMac every five minutes and grab the latest post for the Town Hall, the Community Centre, the Emergency Room, and the Trading Post. Clicking on any one of the four topics opens the web page containing the appropriate topic.

The UI for it is a bit rough right now (it should be obvious that I'm not a UI expert), but will improve in future versions. For now I thought I'd release it and see if anyone had any comments or suggestions.

Enjoy!

Update: I've added support for transparency, as well as controlling whether or not the widget remains on top of other windows, regardless of focus. I've also learned how to make disk images properly, so the download is 55KB instead of 850KB. Grab the updated version here.

Update: 0.2.0 is out. Better UI, fewer bugs. Last release for a while, I hope :D

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Oh Man!
You are the best.
The Code is beautiful!

The UI

It will come. It is only 0.1 as you stated.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Sounds great! Downloading now...

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heart:
The Code is beautiful!

I'd argue the code isn't all that beautiful (since I didn't know JavaScript when I started out, and so did some really stupid things), but thanks :D

It will come. It is only 0.1 as you stated.

I hope it gets better, too, but I've not got any clever ideas for it at the moment. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ehMax wrote:
Maybe we should buy an ehMac user licence for Konfabulator.

Sounds like a good idea, if you've got $2500 burning a hole in your pocket ;)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Updated version available (see my original post for details). I'll try not to release another version tonight ;)

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
That's the stuff....

:D :D :D

Request:

How about an Aqua look, kind of like the Calendar.
I kind of like drop shadows too.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chealion wrote:
heh, its a really good start until you turn the transparency to 0... then you're hooped...

Fixed in 0.2.0.

Also, theres no way to drag it to another place on the screen, it always open another window.

In 0.1.0 and 0.1.1, f you grab the window by the "last updated" bar, then you can drag it around the screen.

In 0.2.0, only the topic titles will bring you to ehMac.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Using 0.2.0 and well its about only 100x better then 0.1.1, great improvement jfpoole!

Only constructive criticism which you can take if you want to is that, the widget as of 0.2.0 doesn't reflect ehMac very well yet, its currently blue while ehMac is red and white, and if you can add a maple leaf or something, a little graphics can help too, just wish I could help but I don't know anything about Konfabulator widgets yet. And maybe add some sort of a title bar above where it says Town Hall, put say ehMac UBB or something, but thats something I always like.
Other then those things I would like to see if you feel that they are valid points, great work!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Good work. But you need a custom icon...

It's just a quick one, but I think it is doable...

:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
heh, its a really good start until you turn the transparency to 0... then you're hooped... :(

Also, theres no way to drag it to another place on the screen, it always open another window. Code wise it seems that you have it down pact but the UI definitely NEEDS to be improved and I think using the ehMac logo as a nifty background image will help out too (Just a small suggestion, that you may take or not, its just what I would do).

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heart:
Request:
How about an Aqua look...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Thanks for the Aqua too!

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
Very cool widget! Now I want one for my forum loL (Anybody wanna teach me! :D)
anybody know how long Konfabulator works before you have to pay for it?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Strongblade wrote:

Well, if the Mayor doesn't mind me using the ehMac Dude, I'll be sure to add it to the next release.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jfpoole:
Strongblade wrote:

Well, if the Mayor doesn't mind me using the ehMac Dude, I'll be sure to add it to the next release.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be cool. Just email me at: [email protected] for the .PSD file if it's a go!

:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
2 questions.
1) How many are using this useful widget
2) How many have hacked it and customized for their own tastes (Like me):

My hacked version is on the left, and the 0.2.0 version by jfpoole on the left

(This is my hacked version) (If image does not show, press refresh)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts