Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking that the speed of ehMac may have decreased lately. It seems to take much longer to navigate this site than it used to. Maybe because of more traffic? Anyone else noticing this?

·
Premium Member
30,995 Posts
Depends on the time of day and what OS and browser you use. Some browsers just get horribly slow over time, caching issues, fragmented memory - lots of things will cause a slowdown including web traffic and your web connection status - sometimes refereshing the connection if you have a router works.

Then again it could be just busy ;) :cool:

If you are on a slower Mac using a RAM disk as a browser cache is a cool trick for snappier response if you are going back to pages already visited. It also reduces disc activity and potential directory damage. :D

·
peek-a-boo
17,329 Posts
Probably busy server. It does it on all 3 of my macs on either sympatico at home, or sympatico business at work. I use safari on each. OS X . Maybe I'll try out ie and see.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have always used Safari, but when I read other posts, thought I would try it with another browser. Netscape 7.1 seems to be much faster today for some reason, although that too can change.

·
Premium Member
30,995 Posts
Cleaned your caches lately?? Onyx, MacJanitor etc

·
Registered
107 Posts
I find this site is slow.. even with Airport Exttreme card in my mac

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i hate to mention this but, when using my MS 2wink machine and IE, ehMac browsing is the fastest of all

CPU probably had something to do with it to...
AMD XP+ 2400

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Seems fine with Safari 1.0 (v85.5),
I just empty the caches periodically in the debug menu.
Although I am also using Safari Enhancer version 2.0.6.1 as well.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I too have noticed the slowdown ... within the last week or so. I've emptied the cache; no real performance boost. Seems when i select any forum or a thread within a forum that there is a delay of about a second or two before navigating to that link.

Safari 1.0(v85.5)

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
There are two versions of the Safari enhancer that you can
download...One for Panther and one for Jaguar.

Safari Enhancer 2.0.7b1

At the above link you can scroll down to the OSX 10.2
download link. (Read the description on what it does).

Dave :cool:

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
I'll give you 2 reasons why its slow:

1. This message board is running on Perl on a shared system that hasn't been optimized for the purpose (ISP web server)

2. More traffic.

If ehMac was run on a DEDICATED server with a Perl module as part of the apache server (assuming its running on UNIX) then speed would be faster. Personally I prefer PHP/Mysql based-systems since you can run the front-end seperatly from the database for speed. InfoPop's messages are stored as files and not entries in an SQL database so its going to be slower overall.
InfoPop does make a version of UBB for PHP/Mysql systems however the ISP may not offer this combo. Perl is generally always a safe bet although slower.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
If ehMac was run on a DEDICATED server with a Perl module as part of the apache server (assuming its running on UNIX) then speed would be faster. Personally I prefer PHP/Mysql based-systems since you can run the front-end seperatly from the database for speed. InfoPop's messages are stored as files and not entries in an SQL database so its going to be slower overall.
InfoPop does make a version of UBB for PHP/Mysql systems however the ISP may not offer this combo. Perl is generally always a safe bet although slower.
That explanation is so good you have to read it twice, or thrice.

You definately picked the right nick name. I believe that the ISP does not offer the combo or the $ may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Now I'm confused.. How does Safari Enhancer make the site faster?

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
MacAttack - That confuses me too, considering Safari Enhancer will only change Safari Settings. Unless they just cleared the caches all the time.

Personally, I find its the time of the day that ehMac will slow down. And it doesn't seem to correlate with the amount of people on the board either. Doesn't matter too much to me, as I'm always doing at least 2 things at once.

·
Premium Member
30,995 Posts
If he's on high speed and turned the caching off it may feel quicker. I just did the same thing and we'll see if Safari lags over time like it did. It would get tediously slow after a heavy day online, mind you I'd end up with 30 windows open too and I wonder if the redraws were causing a perceived slow down. Anyone know if video ram fragments?

But Chealion it certainly is time of day related......5 pm = s l o w.. :cool:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts