Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
31,505 Posts
Depends on the time of day and what OS and browser you use. Some browsers just get horribly slow over time, caching issues, fragmented memory - lots of things will cause a slowdown including web traffic and your web connection status - sometimes refereshing the connection if you have a router works.

Then again it could be just busy ;) :cool:

If you are on a slower Mac using a RAM disk as a browser cache is a cool trick for snappier response if you are going back to pages already visited. It also reduces disc activity and potential directory damage. :D

· Registered
164 Posts
I too have noticed the slowdown ... within the last week or so. I've emptied the cache; no real performance boost. Seems when i select any forum or a thread within a forum that there is a delay of about a second or two before navigating to that link.

Safari 1.0(v85.5)

· ehMac KungFu Master
411 Posts
I'll give you 2 reasons why its slow:

1. This message board is running on Perl on a shared system that hasn't been optimized for the purpose (ISP web server)

2. More traffic.

If ehMac was run on a DEDICATED server with a Perl module as part of the apache server (assuming its running on UNIX) then speed would be faster. Personally I prefer PHP/Mysql based-systems since you can run the front-end seperatly from the database for speed. InfoPop's messages are stored as files and not entries in an SQL database so its going to be slower overall.
InfoPop does make a version of UBB for PHP/Mysql systems however the ISP may not offer this combo. Perl is generally always a safe bet although slower.

· Premium Member
3,309 Posts
If ehMac was run on a DEDICATED server with a Perl module as part of the apache server (assuming its running on UNIX) then speed would be faster. Personally I prefer PHP/Mysql based-systems since you can run the front-end seperatly from the database for speed. InfoPop's messages are stored as files and not entries in an SQL database so its going to be slower overall.
InfoPop does make a version of UBB for PHP/Mysql systems however the ISP may not offer this combo. Perl is generally always a safe bet although slower.
That explanation is so good you have to read it twice, or thrice.

You definately picked the right nick name. I believe that the ISP does not offer the combo or the $ may have something to do with it.

· Premium Member
7,057 Posts
MacAttack - That confuses me too, considering Safari Enhancer will only change Safari Settings. Unless they just cleared the caches all the time.

Personally, I find its the time of the day that ehMac will slow down. And it doesn't seem to correlate with the amount of people on the board either. Doesn't matter too much to me, as I'm always doing at least 2 things at once.

· Premium Member
31,505 Posts
If he's on high speed and turned the caching off it may feel quicker. I just did the same thing and we'll see if Safari lags over time like it did. It would get tediously slow after a heavy day online, mind you I'd end up with 30 windows open too and I wonder if the redraws were causing a perceived slow down. Anyone know if video ram fragments?

But Chealion it certainly is time of day related......5 pm = s l o w.. :cool:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.