Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't worry, that happens occasionally when SETI updates the team and user file databases... it's usually back within a day or so.

Last I checked, I think we were at around 4548 completed work units and with a total of 15 members.

~ Capucine

ehMac SETI Team Leader

·
Registered
871 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capucine:

Last I checked, I think we were at around 4548 completed work units and with a total of 15 members.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do I join the team?

My main machine is now at 11000+ work hours, and I have another machine which I can actually dedicate to SETI. Time to put all the idle macs in my collection to work!

Cheers,

G/<

·
Registered
543 Posts
Capucine, thanks for telling us what is going on. I am not on ehMac's team, but was trying to send my results in and nothing is happening.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have been doing a bit of looking on this and would be interested in joining the ehmac group, anybody care to tell me how to get to the site..... :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems the entire SETI site is down at the moment. Maybe ET has been discovered? ;)

Nice to see some "new blood" interested in joining the team. Once the SETI site is back up, all the info will be available at the following links.

SETI Main Page

ehMac SETI Page

·
Registered
406 Posts
Having made my first Work Unit without scoring a find was a little disheartening, I thought I would be the one you know to make the difference. Anyways have joined the ehmac team and was wondering if anyone could share some tips on getting the best performance. Am using two machines to try it at first 1. QS 733 2. Cube 450 both running 10.2.3 and 512 Mb. The cube did the first WU at 16 hours is this normal or is there room for improvement. Also the cube is on airport and the QS is hardwired. :D :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just out of the gate the QS definately seems to be the quicker of the two so far. As I would suspect it should be too................. :D :D

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
to make seti run faster;

select the seti option (control panel) such that the screen goes blank after 1 min.

believe it or not the drawing of those cute graphs takes away valuable cycles.

with my b/w G3/500, MacRadeon 7000, i get an unit done in about 14 hours - used to be about 18 with the graphs constantly being drawn

there are notes on the seti site for improving performance if i recall....

ps - thanx for the link so i could switch the group i belonged to from what it was to "ehMac"

excuse me, but i am receiving a transmission from "Home World" and i should really take that call :D

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CubaMark:
To those who are wary of SETI's ultimate worth, this recent news story indicates even George Bush believes in little green men / women:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/02/03/tech/main539116.shtml

:D
M
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This brings on another topic all together, we all know that Bush is well, not the brightest guy in the universe and well, I'd say that he is not a reliable source.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bush thinks there's "awl out thar".

I predict a war on the outer planets.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Time for an official ehMac SETI update:

Current # of ehMac SETI Team members: 31
# completed units received: 21512
Total CPU time: 38.423 years

Welcome to our newest team members, we're very glad to have you aboard for this very worthy cause -- let's show them what Canadian Mac users can do!!

~ Capucine
ehMac Moderator
ehMac SETI Team Founder

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i did some checking on the SETI website and Canada is ranked 4th in the world re: number of computing years.

almost 80,000 yrs., just behind the UK.

Not bad, eh?

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I donwloaded SET @ Home for OS X and the calculations always start from zero each time the screen saver pops up.

Anyone know why this is? Under OS 9.x, the sfw. always remembered where it finished when going into screen saver mode.

OS X.2.3, b/w G3/500, 512 MB RAM

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macspectrum:
I donwloaded SET @ Home for OS X and the calculations always start from zero each time the screen saver pops up.

Anyone know why this is? Under OS 9.x, the sfw. always remembered where it finished when going into screen saver mode.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It will do this if you only run the screensaver for a few moments. Once it's run for a while (10 to 20 minutes), it will save the "crunched" data.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.