• Sort of, I only used it a few times

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • No, I don't use iWeb

Votes: 48 55.2%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
I have been using iWeb since it came out and it's always suited my wants / needs. I like its ease of use and integration with .Mac and then MobileMe, and the fact that outside web hosting hasn't been necessary. iWeb itself might continue to function as an application but (apparently) being forced to go with hosting next year doesn't exactly make me smile.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
I tried it when it first came out out of curiosity, since it came with iLife. It drove me batty - but by then I was using Dreamweaver and hand coding, so I guess this was to be expected. I couldn't stand the plethora of files it created (a new CSS for EVERY page??) and the convoluted code and the fact that I couldn't hand-edit that code. Definitely not my cup of tea!

However, that said, for someone who has never built a web site before and doesn't have the time or perhaps the interest in learning to code and/or use something like Dreamweaver, it can produce a pretty site quite easily, and lots of people have enjoyed it.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
I've used it a handful of times. It's great for simple sites. No thinking required. When Wordpress and interactivity is too much, and when free sites are poorly designed or require sign up, iWeb + MobileMe are great.

I think it could have lived on, especially with the space included in iCloud. The integration with iCloud could be even more seamless, and easy to use for people who aren't technically inclined.

I think with a little love, it could've have been a great piece of software, but it's obvious it just hasn't been given much of a budget at all over the years.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I use it for one site.. Guess now I'll have to get a new server for it. Pretty frustrated by that..

I guess the bonus being that webhosting is going to be a lot cheaper now.. Instead of $120 for mobile me, I get a server for $40 and I still get to push my email/cal/contacts..

·
Registered
564 Posts
I tried it for a club website and didnt really like it, the templates were too blah for what I wanted and you couldn't really change them. I like WordPress better for what I am doing now.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I use(d) iWeb frequently, daily - hourly when on deadline - and it has been a valuable business tool. I make a "site" for each client and upload all my work and changes to the site for them to see and hear. It's so easy to add and modify content and just upload the changes. It has revolutionized the way I work and I will certainly miss it if it goes. I tried and did not like Rapid Weaver. What other substitutes are there? Will iWeb truly be dropped completely or just the MobileMe webhosting component?

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
I use it for a couple of simple websites. It would not be a big deal at all to change them to, say, Wordpress. Changing the hosting is, again, a minor inconvenience at best -- and in point of fact there's absolutely NOTHING that says I can't host it on iCloud. Dropbox doesn't advertise themselves as a website host, but people use it for that. 5GB would be more than enough for my modest needs.

I thought it was a MARVELOUS way to "defeat the barrier" in clients' minds that they couldn't possibly ever create a website, and for cooking up a good basic website. Of course, once people learned that they COULD make websites after all, they would outgrow iWeb quickly.

·
Ninja
46 Posts
I've seen some reasonable stuff come out of iWeb. If you want serious creative control —which I doubt 'the Average Joe' after—you'll need something with a bit more oomph. I generally use TextMate with a little Dreamweaver (depending on the project).

If you want to go the template route, wouldn't it be a heckuva lot easier and better to set up a Sign up | Tumblr or WordPress.com — Get a Free Blog Here site?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've seen some pretty impressive sites made through iWeb.. If you have the time, you can do just about anything with iWeb.. (clearly not using the built in templates)

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Very seldom. Won't miss it.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
It drives me insane. I can't stand it. Every time I think "oh it's not so bad" I muddle through another garbage website.

Bloated code, too much reliance on images when simple text links would suffice... Just painful.

I have yet to find a software that I can use to build my HTML chops AND make graphical changes when I'm in a rush or looking for a very specific effect. I never did step fully into dreamweaver. Think next I'm going to try Rapidweaver.

As for iWeb, the world is spared a little more terrible code. Apple could do soooo much better. But if they get rid of webhosting I'm going to have to migrate my website. :(

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
There are many templates I would have no use for. However, I found the woodgrain motif quite suitable for my music duo that plays tunes reminiscent of the woodgrain panelling era. ;)

Big & Fearless

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Nice website. But case in point, it's an apple product and viewing "tunes" on my iPhone cuts the far right of the title off. You, as a loyal apple user and likely the specific target audience, do not deserve a website generator that mucks up simple things like this on a platform you are probably excited about publishing for seeing as you own a Mac. If you can't publish for an iPhone, there is something wrong.

I am 100% in support of those who say Apple needs to bring out an alternative to iWeb for new users who just want a website. Then Apple of all people should know: elegance is paramount meaning performance shouldn't be outright sacrificed for ease of use... You can't sacrifice the ease of use for the rest of the world (everyone who will potentially be viewing your website) for the ease of use of the Author. They should be much more balanced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts