Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know both ehMax and Heart are heading to beautiful San Francisco to cover MWSF. The highlight of the conference however is Steve Job's Keynote starting at 9 AM PST (10 AM MST, Noon EST, 1:00 Atlantic, 1:30 NFLD).

We will have live coverage of the event here on ehMac, so be sure to drop by. But more importantly the ehMac Chat Room will have all the latest updates as they come in.

Using iChat (or AOL Instant Messenger if you don't have iChat) you can join the ehMac Chat Room easily and discuss the events as they happen. The chat will be logged and the log posted here on ehMac a little after the finish of the keynote, so remember to as always mind your Ps & Qs.

To join the chat using iChat/iChat AV simply open iChat, and then sign in. (If you need help signing in or creating an iChat account, don't hesitate to post in Mac Help & Troubleshooting)

Once you have signed in, Go to the File Menu, and Choose Go to Chat... (Command-G). For Chat Name, enter ehMac, and the chat window will pop up and you can join in the chat! I encourage you to try it out before hand as there are a few ehMac members who drop by the chat room every once in a while.

With AOL Instant Messenger, I've only used the latest version for Windows, and its a little more tricky. I am assuming you know how to use AOL Instant Messenger well enough to get yourself signed in.

Under the People menu, choose Invite People to a Chat... When the dialog pops up, delete all the names in the list of people to send the chat too, and put in your name, eg. username or [email protected]

Then change the Chat Room name to ehMac instead of Chat (really long number here). Press OK and you're good to go!

If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask, and if you see any way to clarify how to connect to the room, just post here or in Mac Help & Troubleshooting

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FAQ for the Room:

1) To see people's avatars instead of the generic .Mac globe or the AIM running man, drag their name from the chat participant's list to the buddy list

2) Some people will find a bug in iChat won't allow them to see other people's avatars when you add them. To remedy this, quit iChat, start it back up and add the person again. You can also try deleting your preferences. Mileage may vary however.

3) Yes the chat will be logged and the log posted here on ehMac after the chat.

4) ehMax and/or Heart will be typing in the chat giving us live feedback.

5) Coverage courtesy of ehMax, Heart, First Avenue, Crumpler Canada, O'Reilly Books, and Macally.

[ January 05, 2004, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are encouraging people to drop by before the event in order to get any questions answered before the actual event.

Also it would be great if people will stop by and chat, its always quite fun!

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Chealion, I don't know if this has already been noted, but people can activate iChat and connect to the ehMac group via a hyperlink. You'll have to cut and paste into your browser since links on this board adhere to the http protocol

aim:GoChat?RoomName=ehmac

Note: this only works if you have already started and logged-in to iChat.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PGant - Well I didn't know that would work. Thanks so much! I tried a while ago, but many people told me it didn't work. Might be because I did use the URL tags here on ehMac.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, please see the thread titled "ehMac Chat Room People", as who is on the chat room will be posted there so you can see who is who without having to ask everyone constantly. Makes everyone's lives easier and won't clutter the log up as much either.

So hope to see you tomorrow!

EDIT: PS - We suggest you control click in the chat room and under View select Show Names and Pictures or Show Names. Unless you've added the person to your iChat list, their picture will be generic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts