Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to maybe purchase one. I need a new Desktop and, although I have a Pismo, I'm considering the eMac so not to have to use my Lap full time - or is it tough enough for it? Anyhow, would love to hear from eMac owners. All comments welcomed. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Go for the eMac. It is a great machine!!! I have never had any problems with mine. It is better value for the money than an LCD iMac (bigger HD, faster processor and has a SuperDrive that the iMac doesn't...at the same price point).

Although, if you are happy with your Pismo...stay with that. I had a Pismo before I bought my eMac. It was a Pismo 500MHz, 20GB HD, 640MB SDRAM. It smoked! I used it everyday for two years...at least 6hrs a day...and would often leave it running for a week or more at a time...and it never let me down, right up to the day I sold it. They are solid as a rock.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Vertigogo, thanks. So you you did well with your Pismo? This is my 1st lap, and I'm a little scared of keeping it runing all day and night.

Anyhow, the eMac is alright? Hmmm. I will say that it is a little bulky. But I do like the specs for the price - no match! I hesitate only because some of the iMacs (CRTs) had a screen flicker (like mine) @ 1024x768 and I didn't want to see that happen again.

BTW, although transplanted to Toronto, I'm a Ottawa native. Go Sens!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VertiGoGo:
Go for the eMac. It is a great machine!!! I have never had any problems with mine. It is better value for the money than an LCD iMac (bigger HD, faster processor and has a SuperDrive that the iMac doesn't...at the same price point).

Although, if you are happy with your Pismo...stay with that. I had a Pismo before I bought my eMac. It was a Pismo 500MHz, 20GB HD, 640MB SDRAM. It smoked! I used it everyday for two years...at least 6hrs a day...and would often leave it running for a week or more at a time...and it never let me down, right up to the day I sold it. They are solid as a rock.

I hope this helps.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Chemist,

what have been some documented issues? I like to go into retail armed. lol.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RicktheChemist:
Hey,

This is totally my personal preference buy an iMac. It's worth the investment, and you avoid all the problems people have been having with the eMac. The specs of the eMac are excellent for the Mac user but with all the technical problems I fail to see why it's worth it. Sure, you might be lucky, and get an eMac that works awesome but chances are (there are not that many out there that are bad) you won't.

A few ehMac members have pick up an eMac and loved it, but as I said this is totally personal; now for my Mac view:

This machine rocks.. by looking at the overview: eMac: Apple's Education idea

And the specs are: eMac specs

I recommend the eMac to a user that is not into looks, and would like a performance machine.

AS for pricing;

The picture speaks for itself, the ehMac offers more for the same price but has the CRT. The only real stumbling block between the two is the choice between CRT and LCD. Sure, there are a few other points, but that is the biggest one.

Cheers,

RtC

P.S. The prices above are taken from Apple Canada Online Store on 17/11/02. All prices are in Canadian dollars
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
The eMac has had some documented video problems. The screen in a limited number of units would go black shortly after the Apple "chime" and some sort of audible "pop"...but I understand this issue has been taken care of.

I bought mine after this issue was noted and I have never had a problem.

Yes, the eMac is bulkier than the current iMac...but it is a CRT display. The video quality is much better than my old Pismo and the sound quality coming out of those little speakers is mind-blowing. It is also great for gaming!

As for the Pismo...it is a workhorse and it can be left on for very long periods of time. I would leave it crunching SETI info blocks for weeks at a time.

:rolleyes: Poor thing. :D

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> BTW, although transplanted to Toronto, I'm a Ottawa native. Go Sens! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although transplanted to Ottawa, I'm a native Montrealer. Go Habs Go!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
30,889 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I agree they are two different things macdoc, but we are looking at what you get for the same amount of cash.

If you look at it from that angle, the eMac is the better value. :D

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks err-one. I know that the value has never been disputed <-- awesome! I just wanted to make sure that the eMac was good to purchase. As I mentioned, I know that you can get some hiccups in the 1st gens of products - like I did in my iMac. I would lose it if I lugged the eMac all the way up the stairs to have to lugg it back in case of hardware failures. Anyhow... the thread continues...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VertiGoGo:
I agree they are two different things macdoc, but we are looking at what you get for the same amount of cash.

If you look at it from that angle, the eMac is the better value. :D
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
65 Posts
I must say my piece here...I have used Mac's since the dawn of time, in my work, but never thought of spending $ for one at home until the eMac came out. This is the best $value I have seen in years.
There seem to be a lot of various problems with eMac, on the Apple support site, but I must say I have not experienced any at all.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by macbruce:
This is the best $value I have seen in years.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"ditto"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts