Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

ehMac Chat Room?

3K views 38 replies 8 participants last post by  RicktheChemist 
#1 ·
Excuse me if this has been asked about before, but seeing as I'm visiting the site at 2am and there's 15 people online even at this hour, would it be a good idea to start an ehMac live chatroom? Would people be interested in this?

C'est 2h le matin et il y a encore 15 membres d'ehMac sur le site... peut-être cet question êtait déjà posé, mais est-ce qu'il est une bonne idée d'essayer une chambre tchat ehMac? Vouz pensez quoi?

#3 ·
The ehMac (notice the capital M, very important as ehmac is different) chat room kind of grows and dies, and when ever I am on iChat I pop in there and leave it there in case anyone pops on. It hasn't gotten very popular though, and its possible we need a room on an IRC server or something instead. The iChat room is working, but not frequented by many :(

#5 ·
We could always make an ehMac IRC client, it connects to that room, and that's about it. OpenMac is open source, so I will take a look at it unless someone else skilled at understanding code beats me to it. Either way, we would just need to decide on an IRC server and the room name.

http://www.openmac.org/app/

I really think we could make one, and if ehMax stickied and locked a thread that described it in say the Anything Mac forum we might have a flourishing chat room.

Update: I just looked at the source code, and in the readme it tells you how to customize it, so it shall be very easy. If its all right with everyone I'll make it tonight and upload it to my site for tomorrow and post what IRC server and the room name (obviously ehMac). If anyone has any suggestions as to which IRC server to use, PLEASE post or PM me.

#7 ·
Am now working hard on the client, check this post for latest details, as I will just simply edit this post.

Friday - 10:45 PM MST - Started, currently making icon for the application.

Friday - 11:35 PM MST - Testing alpha version. Crossing fingers.

Friday - 11:46 PM MST - Having problems, have to look for another IRC server. Back to Project Builder.

Friday - 11:49 PM MST - Sent to bed by mother. Shall resume bug fixing tomorrow morning.

Saturday - 2:44 PM MST - Back to work.

Saturday - 3:44 PM MST - Almost working, had to redo several things as I made a mistake. You will need to open port 6667 on your firewall or this program WILL NOT work. This cause me much pain until I figured that out
And sniper, yeah it does suck sometimes but c'est la vie, my eyes were starting to hurt. Also, it IS a little slow connecting at the moment. So no need to worry about that.

Saturday - 4:20 PM MST - Stuck on a bug. Bad user info? Does anybody know why that error just popped up and won't allow me to log in? Aside from that, 90% done. And RtC, move out? Not yet, but maybe in a few years.

Saturday - 9:57 PM MST - 99% done, just finishing the about box. A HUMONGOUS thank you to jfpoole, who said the one sentence that removed the bug (The app name can't have spaces in it). I'm such a fool sometimes
Should be uploaded and available in about a half hour.

Saturday - 10:22 PM MST - One last thing, then it shall be uploaded. No bugs found so far, if you find any, please email me. Theres a nice button in the application to do that too!

Saturday - 11:08 PM MST - Uploaded, working and 3 people in the room. Kind of boring, but it is rather late. Hope you all have fun. Too bad this is only Mac OS X. I wish their was a PC version, so I could use it at work... hmmm...

[ July 06, 2003, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

#15 ·
Wow, I'm blown away.

I posted about an ehMac chat room Friday and by Saturday night you guys have got a customized version of OpenMac IRC client available with a dedicated ehMac channel to talk on. That's freakin' awesome; now if I could only get my local MUG to be as proactive as this...

If ehMac admins advertise this on the site, it's important to also provide links for an easy(ish) way to get on the ehMac IRC channel for Windows and *nix users - maybe a link to a decent free IRC client for each. This is for two reasons: many ehMac users will be stuck with Windows boxes at work, and any *nix (Linux, *BSD) users who may be interested in the Mac should be able to join the channel as easily as possible too. I've noticed a LOT of people who have never used a Mac before, or don't even have one, expressing a interest lately, both locally and on the internet (anyone check out Slashdot lately?)

Insanely great job, guys!

#16 ·
I'm DONE!!!

Code was relatively easy, but all those images can take a while... If anyone wants to suggest different images, they can always be put in. eg. the app's icon has a transparent background instead of white.

(If you get a page of gibberish or anything, control click and download the link to disk. Safari handles this just fine, so no problem.)

Current issues: No guidelines, stats have been removed, support URL missing.

Will be added soon, once a thread is established outlining those particular subjects. I'll add them tomorrow, and so there will be an update within a few days. And since the download is only 1 MB it shall be nice to see many ehMac members to join.

A Blair - Now, we just wait for the official OK from either (or both) Heart and ehMax. As for other OS's I think we can set something up, in say an official thread that ehMax can make, and we'll just feed him the pertenate information. eg. For Windows, use mIRC, and directions how to connect to the room with link to download. And also put up guidelines... Hope to see everyone in there! (By the way, the difference between jfpoole's version and mine is that I also did the UI part not just the code. jfpoole is one super sharp guy!)

EDIT: Also, for all of you still in OS 9, here's the one reason that should tip the scales to moving to X ;)
Or you could always just download ircle, but that would spoil all the fun.

Download removed as newer version available.

[ July 26, 2003, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

#20 ·
Slight change made. Icon fixed, and now press command and k to check if you have the latest version (These should have been in the initial release, sorry). So if you already have it, you don't have to upgrade, but the icon looks 10x better, and IMHO thats enough reason. Also as a side note, I just discovered you can have it check your spelling like any other cocoa app. Just control click on where you type to people, and tell it to check spelling as you type or however you want it to... So cool :D

Hope to see you all in the room!

[ July 07, 2003, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

#21 ·
Unofficial guidelines for the ehMac chat room:

Please DO NOT do the following: (thanks for noticing that this was missing james_squared!)

1. Scrolling and/or flooding (the irritating practice of transmitting numerous messages and/or having many nicknames joining a channel so as to monopolize the channel)

2. Discussion of or act of committing a crime (sharing "warez", sharing Apple private beta software, etc.)

3. Discussion of "cracking" (defined as intending to cause harm, theft, or potentially illegal acts against a person/company and their computer systems)

4. Any discussion of other illegal activities

5. Any harassing of other users in any form

6. Swearing.

Also, a good thing to read would be Freenode's channel guidelines (they are the server we are using).

Also, if you see me online, I am there, I'm just usually also doing something and check back every 5 minutes or so, sorry i missed you Johnny.

[ July 08, 2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

#22 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chealion:
Unofficial guidelines for the ehMac chat room:

1. Scrolling and/or flooding (the irritating practice of transmitting numerous messages and/or having many nicknames joining a channel so as to monopolize the channel)

2. Discussion of or act of committing a crime (sharing "warez", sharing Apple private beta software, etc.)

3. Discussion of "cracking" (defined as intending to cause harm, theft, or potentially illegal acts against a person/company and their computer systems)

4. Any discussion of other illegal activities

5. Any harassing of other users in any form

6. Please no swearing.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello,

I assume, these are things I should not do in the ehMac chat room.

James

#24 ·
Sorry about my messup, if you looked, I did fix it right after your post!

And the disk image, for the next update it will be internet enabled, meaning when you download it it will decompress itself and copy itself to your desktop and throw away the .dmg just leaving the program (no more hassle of copying it!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.