Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I whipped up some numbers that give a rough idea of what browser and operating system ehMac users are using. The results are somewhat surprising. You can check 'em out here.

The raw numbers are from my web server logs (my avatar is hosted on my web server, so each time someone loads it there's an entry in my logs stating which OS and web browser the person used). The numbers are then fed through a Python script, which produces the aforementioned webpage.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
hmmm
only 50% are using Macs on ehMac, and I thought Netscape 4 was dead.
Netscape 4 was one of the most heavily upgraded browsers. It was my browser of choice until about a year and a half ago when I noticed it wasnt keeping up to current needs. Now I mostly use Mac IE 5.2 and Im just starting to use safari, maybe when it is in final release, I will make it my first choice
I guess those 50% windows users are mostly lurkers.
i guess that can be a good thing too
Do you also notice that almost two thirds of the Windows users use IE6, where as the Mac users use a variety of browsers
Thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Still using OS 9.1.

Really like Mozilla 1.2.1 with integrated email. (Was using Netscape 4.79 before Mozilla)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Don't forget that some people might be logging in at work as i do at times and we run Window their, so numbers must reflect that as well.

James

·
Registered
366 Posts
Interesting thread. I can state my OS and browser usage and ask the question that I originally wanted to ask. Cool.

At work: 60-70% Windows 2000, IE
Home: the rest of the time, OS 9.2, Netscape 7

My question, I am trying to ease myself into OSX. My powerbook is new to me. At this point, much of what I do would need to be done in Classic. Still, I am trying. Much of my computer usage at this time, however, is being on the Internet. My ISP says that X is not supported. However, is this not supported or will not work? So, in X I start Classic and try to connect but can't. I think I have the settings correct. I believe I connect using PPPoE. Maybe my settings in X are incorrect. I don't know, the Connect button in the Connection managaer is not active. Do you think this means that it is just really not supported, as in will not work?

I appreciate any suggestions. Maybe all of the windows users are people at work, like me, who wish they were home on their Macs?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It'd be interesting to correlate OS/Browser preference with post frequency, but would be hard to do since I've no easy way of determining which ehMac member is loading my avatar.

I'm a little surprised the Windows numbers are as high as they are (although my time on ehMac is probably split 60/40 in favour of Windows). The fact so many people are using Netscape 4 is a bit of a surprise!

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
re: Netscape 4.x
one client has over 20 iMacs and "grew up" with netscape 4.x (4.8 now) and;
1. have gotten used to it
2. prefer it's "all in one" borwser and email
3. don't want to change

They use OS 9 iMacs, the like Netscape 4.8 and don't want to change.

Who am I to argue?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
At home: OS 9.0.4 and IE 5.0, WinMe & Netscape 7.0.
At work Win 2000 & IE 6.?
I've found IE faster to load pages on my G3 mac. It has dialup! connection thru university portal.
WinMe PC has sympatico warp. Aliant (sympatico warp) could not get my mac connected. Thinking of changing to Rogers.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
The work/school factor is likely throwing off your results. I am running OS X (10.2.5) and Safari Beta 2 at home.

But I visit the site from work as well on a Windows 2000 machine with IE.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I'm a little surprised the Windows numbers are as high as they are (although my time on ehMac is probably split 60/40 in favour of Windows). The fact so many people are using Netscape 4 is a bit of a surprise!
It's probably because most folks login alot from work, like me. At work I have to use Windows 2000 and IE.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Mac and PC machine here at work.
Mac always my first look at EhMac using IE 5.0 on OS 9.2.2.
If the Mac is busy, I go to Netscape 4.7.9 on Windows 2000. It just looks better than IE on this machine esp. text.
Mac at home using Netscape 4.7.9 because I don't like Netscape 6. Older machine therefore 4.7.9 seems to run better on it.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
X with Safari :D However, yeah IE 6? All Windows computers, and I prob help contribute if I check here from school with there messed up Compaqs >.<

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry! i'm one of the guys who uses Windows to browse this site. But i only use it when i'm at the school! they have no macs in the computer studies department. Other than that it's Mac OS X and Camino for me!

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Tis being distorted by Dr. G. and his fleet of doxie-powered Dells.

I'm 99% Safari with 1% IE for a few rare websites that don't behave under Safari. Acts as a reminder as to the superb performace of Safari over IE.

·
incorrigible tinkerer
40 Posts
I'm 99% Safari with 1% IE for a few rare websites that don't behave under Safari. Acts as a reminder as to the superb performace of Safari over IE.
Roughly the same usage pattern for me. I had forgotten that Chimera had been renamed Camino and popped over to mozilla.org to check out the update. Comically enough the pages were poorly rendered and messy
on this school machine running Win2000/IE6, not to mention the general ugliness of text on these lousy LCD displays without font smoothing. Jeez, would someone please make instituions wait until a technology is ready before jumping on the bandwagon!?
I'm getting really sick of these low-end LCD panels popping up everywhere... but i guess that's a discussion for another thread.

-Fish

1 - 20 of 20 Posts