Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this @ all possible??? I have a 60 sec mpeg that I want to maniuplate - really, I wanted to lighten the image up. Is there an app out there to do so?

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
You may have to convert that MPEG into a .MOV file (File-->Export or maybe even FILE-->Save As) before working on it...

Then, use Adobe AfterEffects for mega-freaky-goodness-funtime stuff. Don't know if it operates in 30-day demo mode... might also be other things out there.

You can edit frames in Photoshop and then stick 'em back in...
but that takes awhile...

:cool:
M

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
QuickTime Pro

Exporting to "QT Movie" offers numerous effects and enhancements. I often wonder how many aren't aware of the power of QT Pro - definitley worth the few bucks!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QT Pro?? cool. I guess I might have to give in to that request that they make err-time that I fire up QT. No export on the light vers that I have. Aftereffects?? I've been looking into that. Although that I'm not the vid editor though I do want to get into it, I hear that I can use AE on still images. Regardless, thanks.

Mississauga, thanks for sacrificing your 500th post for such a small query. ;) Not the landmark you might have wanted.

Cheers!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm with mississauga. QT Pro is the best multimedia app you can get for the money. I have been using the Pro version for more than a year and am still learning new tricks almost everytime I use it. If you can get or have old Adobe Prem. disk's, you can trade them in for a free copy of FCEx which can do color correction as well as some other fancy tricks.
Have fun.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I am going to highly recommend against this.
an mpg file is a compressed file, to uncompress (Which you dont get any of the original information back that you lost when compressing), then edit, the recompress is a very bad idea.
You will suffer some serious loss in quality by doing this. This was one the first things I ever tried when I started doing video and learned, very quickly, that it does not work well.

It can be done, but as a good friend of mine says "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can do this with Cleaner (video app). It can affect the mpeg movie in it's native format and export in that same format. Last time I checked, I don't think Quicktime Pro will export to mpeg (1 or 2) I assume that's what you're working with?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Actually QT Pro does output mpeg or mpeg1 files as some of us might call it as well as a slew of other formats. In addition, with the mpeg2 playback component, you can output mpeg2 files into what ever QT format you need. You could even stream it .... QuickTime Pro is about $30.00US. I think cleaner is around $600.ooUS with a focus on encoding. That is what I meant when I said best multimedia app around for the money. $30US goes a long way here. Just a comment on compressed files. Almost all the files a computer spites out are compressed including mpeg (heavycompression). I am sure if he was doing a TV spot and needed HiRes video, he would have the original source to tweek in something other than QT Pro. I am assuming he just wants to spruce up a little 60 second family clip that he has already output to mpeg. His options for stepping up quality without the original source are narrow, but he can still do adjustments while keeping data loss at a minimum. Again, I think QuickTime Pro is an excellent place to start especially if you are interested in learning how to play with digital media. The entry fee is minimal for the list of options it gives you. What ever you decide, have fun. ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Avoid Cleaner 6 for MPEG files it really does not work well with them. I don't know what they changed but I just finished a project converting 21 16x9 videos to MPEG using cleaner and it was a nightmare!!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Avoid Cleaner 6 for MPEG files it really does not work well with them. I don't know what they changed but I just finished a project converting 21 16x9 videos to MPEG using cleaner and it was a nightmare!!!
I've had the same experience, whereas a program such as ffmpegx did it faster and better -- still not great, but better than Cleaner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts