Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if it's bad to mention this place. I haven't seen any comments on it yet, so maybe it's a taboo subject. But here it goes anyway.

Do any Canadians here buy off of ebay (either .com or .ca)? And if so, have you had any problem trying to actually PAY for stuff by visa? (especially the american site)/

I finally had found a cd-rw for my model of laptop and anyway, I kept trying and trying through paypal and through a thing called c2it. They wouldn't accept my Canadian info. There was no "other country" option. Doesn't matter now though. I gave up trying. Sometimes it feels like parts of American forget there are other countries out there. (the funny thing is they said they shipped internationally. lol! But apparently will only let you pay caaaaaashhh...oh I get it.)

Regardless. Don't think I'll be doing that anymore. Not for computer stuff anyway. My husband got a really good mountain bike from ebay once though (private, used deal) and it went fine.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
eBay and PayPal both work jim dandy for me. When you sign up with paypal you just need to choose "International Account".

The only issue I have with eBay.com is that a lot of the sellers wont ship outside the lower 48, so I usually stick to eBay.ca

--PB

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Dot CA b4 anything. I then work my way out of the country. I often find guys in the GTA so it makes things a bit easier. Just personal prefs.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I have had mixed results with eBay to the point where I consider it a last resort for things. I have found that ott.forsale.computing and ott.forsale.other have a pretty good selection of things and there's no hassle with shipping. Even better, Canadian-to-Canadian transactions can be done via Certapay (sending $ by email) if both parties are with one of the major banks.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I used ebay.ca quite often. It's a good way to find obscure items, and occasionally get a good deal.

I use Paypal without problems, many sellers will accept Paypal with a credit card. Some do not, so make sure first.

Make sure you know your prices before bidding!

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
I'm an eBay lover! I've had nothing but good experiences, but I always do my research whenever I buy or sell something. PayPal is a godsend and makes transactions go very smoothly. What's great about it is, you can use it to pay for private transactions like on ehMac's Trading Post.

If you want to experience what it's like to buy from eBay and use PayPal to pay for your purchase, keep an eye out for "Bjornbro's Annual (Mac) eBay Auction" coming soon... ;) (shameless plug, I know).

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Im up to 88 positive transactions on EBay now Paypal is helpful in many cases.
I have no idea what your problem is
Yah some people are silly when it comes to not shipping up here or gouging you on shipping.
Ive had people who charge me $8 us for shipping a little thing and the envelope says $3.85 when I get it.
Im still always nice on EBay even when I feel a little gouged I leave positive feedback almost always if it goes close to reasonable.
Im too scared of negatives I guess, when I reach 200 positivges, then I may develop more of a backbone.
I had about 4 delinquent bidders on my auctions over the last year and I still had to pay the fees.
On the other hand I have bought some really cool stuff on Ebay for a reasonable price.

and Heck, Ive sold stuff on Ebay I could give away locally so I guess it works pretty well.
Starting next month I expect to auction off about 50 lots of stuff so I can move around a little in my cramped apartment.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I use eBay.ca and always try and buy from a Canadian source, if you buy from the US more than likely you'll pay extra for GST at Customs. To pay for stuff I try and use E-mail money Transfer (CertaPay), BidPay (money order) or PayPal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts