Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently won an eBay auction, only to have it turn out to be a fraud. Meanwhile, I've come across lots of bogus auctions ...

Now, in what I've promised myself is the last time for awhile I'm going to try this, I've found myself winning this auction for a 12" Powerbook.

So guess what? As soon as I put in my bid, I started getting emails from people with middlin' English, promising to sell me 12" Powerbooks at breathtakingly low prices.

Is there an epidemic of Powerbook-related fraud at the moment, or is it happening with other products as well?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But I once bought a Powerbook from the States, and it was a great deal (and worked perfectly)!

This sucks, man ... :(

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Don't get me started on how fed up I am with eBay. Ah what the heck...in my case, it was a seller who wasn't delivering the goods despite having been paid in full. For me, eBay was completely lacking in customer support and pretty much put the onus on me to find appropriate legal recourses. Not once did I get a phone call or even an email that wasn't some kind of form letter (which, by the way, never addressed my questions or concerns).

In my case, there was an addtional surprise: months later I noticed an exact duplicate of the ad for the good that I paid for...complete with the same typos and poor sentence structure. The only thing different was the seller's username. I advised eBay that there was a chance that this clown was the same seller using a different user name. It took them well over a month to suspend the user, and that was only after the registered complaints for that user went through the roof.

My conclusion was that eBay was far more interested in the revenue they generate from sellers than they were in providing a reliable, secure place to do business.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That most definitely sucks. Me, my recent experiences have really put me off the place. They need to figure out ways of stopping this kind of crap (though their feedback system is pretty good).

"The buyer beware" applies everywhere, it seems ...

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
The trouble with eBay's feedback approach is that it's just window dressing. Consider how effective it was with the experience I described: a bad seller had to rack up a considerable number of complaints in a month before eBay decided to act. Even when they did act, I wouldn't be surprised if the seller just created another new account.

Considering the cheap lip-service of automated form-letter emails and a toothless feedback page (among other annoyances too numerous to mention), I was really appalled by their lack of genuine concern for buyers who get burned using their service. I for one will never do business with them again, and I don't hesitate to advise friends and colleagues accordingly.

Just having been reminded of the experience has me steamed again .... :(

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Re: eBay
I've bought 4 used macs in the past 5 years (a 7100, a beige 233 G3, a powerbook 520c and recently a G3 400 B/W, all from the U.S.A.) and about 10 smaller items, without a hitch. I would hesitate to buy big ticket items except for established sellers I feel comfortable with. I've bought a couple of items from Yahoo auctions, the sellers seem to be the ones kicked off eBay. (oops, my apologies, I hope I haven't insulted any one!)
I try to never get caught up in "auction fever" and always set limits. I would be uncomfortable buying newer G4 powerbooks or towers on eBay. If I were buying "newish" I would rather do business with Macdoc, Macsellers or Carbon.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've never bought anything but small items, and never with anyone except a long-time seller who has built up tons of postive feedback.

To deal with anyone else, especially for an expensive item, is just...

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I must admit that I like using eBay for hard-to-find items, but I don't usually spend more than $50 on items and I try and buy from someone "local". I don't think I'd ever buy an (expensive) computer on eBay unless I could pick it up in person.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts