I'm amazed (Well sort of amazed) that you found an
American on eBay that is shipping outside the U.S., All
the stuff I've been interested in buying is being
auctioned off to the U.S. market only.

Dave :cool:

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
Check his feedback rating, the No. in brackets beside his name. It will give the full scope of what you can expect from the seller. I find the guys with great feedback are a pleasure to deal with. I purchased a Powerbook for my wife off eBay not to far back, great seller, item was just like he said and it works like a charm.

Finch

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
First of all, make sure that his feedback AS A SELLER goes back a long way and covers items similar to the one you want to buy. Ripoff artists often make themselves a terrfic feedback rating by buying a lot of small items and paying up promptly. Then the suck you into believing that you can trust them to ship you a 17" PowerBook for $1000 - after all, they have a 100% positive feedback rating!

The bottom line, in this as in all else, is "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

Even if the deal is strictly on the level, you will find that it may not look so hot after you pay exchange, shipping, GST, insurance, brokerage fees (a real killer), and all the other little miscellaneous chunks of flesh that cross-border shipping entails. I have bought several large items out of the US, and, although I have never encountered a dishonest seller, I generally concluded in the end that I should have waited for the item to come up in an all-Canadian auction, or just bought it from a local seller. The exception to this, of course, is stuff that is just unavailable in Canada.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've bought a number of items through ebay and have not had any problems. Make sure you contact the seller for a shipping quote. Some will sell to you and then charge $50+ usd to send it ,and then you pay tax usually on the insured value. Airborne express is the best shipper out of the US. I've heard the fed x is an expesive nightmare.Also check payment details to be sure you want to use one of their methods.
I had a shiping quote last week for a G4 that was $100US!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Anybody have any experience with ebay? There is a guy (with a good reputation) selling powerbooks for dirtcheap from NY. Should I trust this guy? I am an ebay neophyte, please advise...
I wouldn't trust a seller for high-end computer stuff on eBay unless you check them out very, very carefully - there are just too many scams for that type of equipment on eBay looking for a buyer just like you - a newbie who doesn't know the "rules" and is trusting of the "system". Here's a couple of hints to help you ...

1. A high feedback means something or it could mean nothing. There are scammers that take over a seller's account and use that good feedback to lull you into thinking you're safe. Check to see what the feedback if for - if it's for automotive parts and all they did was buy then I would very, very leary on why they are suddenly selling a computer for a good deal.

2. Look at the bidder's list - if it says "Note: This listing is restricted to pre-approved bidders or buyers only" - that's a good sign that the auction is scam. These scum use this method to try to trick you into buying "off-line" and to protect their "auction" by protecting their bidders from others telling them it's a scam.

3. Payment for the item is a Western Union Money Order or wire transfer or email transfer .. all easily cashable, untraceable and unstoppable (no matter what the seller says to assure you) once sent. On a large value item - always use your credit card through PayPal if possible - at least you have a couple layers of protection to get your money back if it turns out to be a scam.

4. Does the buyer offer to pay for shipping to close the deal? If so a really good sign it's a scam - no legit seller would sell for so cheap and then offer to pay for shipping. Shipping the computer going to cost a few bucks and it's the buyer that picks up the tab 99% of the time. If the seller says it's free it's probably because there's nothing to ship and shipping nothing doesn't cost anything either.

5. Ask them if you can pick the item up if you win. Don't tell them where you live, just ask the question even if you live on the other side of the country (they will never know unless you tell them). If they say no without a reasonable explanation then be a little leary. You will be really surpised at some of the answers you'll get - the best one I got was for a 23" Apple Studio LCD display, the seller said she was on a travelling trip in Romania when she ran out of money, hense the auction. Now I wonder, who takes a 23" LCD on a trip to europe? I stayed away from that one ... by the way she listed her location as Toronto, Ontario.

6. Last but not least - does the deal seem too good to be true? If have a feeling something's not quite right with this - it probably is and I would rather be safe than sorry.

I hope this helps you ..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Beware that many of these too good to be true eBay laptop auctions are a scam. I flag them for watching, then a day or two later they disappear. The usual indicators are a 3 day auction, private or pre-approved bidders, and a TiBook with 23" Cinema display for $1000 USD. Right.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/925433.asp?cp1=1
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,110535,00.asp
http://www.laptopscam.com/press.htm

http://www.google.ca/search?q=ebay+laptop+fraud will give you more reading material.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ebay is a shark tank. Not only do you have to worry about fraud, you also have to worry about identity theft. That is, someone hijacking a respected seller's ID then fraudulantly selling something.

Laptops, in particular Apple laptops, seem to be a real problem with eBay. I recently bought a new 12" Powerbook from a US seller ($1900 all told!), but I encountered not one or two but several scammers along the way.

My advice is to start with small stuff to gain experience (and feedback) before moving on to the bigger things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.