Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchase a 13" 2012 macbook pro on Ebay.
The seller stated that they had trouble installing a mac OS on it. So they installed a Linux based OS on it instead.
I tried to install Sierra on it from a memory stick but soon discovered that it has a efi lock on it. I had to get Ebay involved and got my money back as the seller wouldn't take it back and told me that he didn't install a efi lock on it.
I still have the macbook.
My question is how did he install Linux on it with this hardware lock? Is the efi tied into the hd with Linux?
What if I install a mac os on the drive from another macbook and then reinstall it back into this laptop? It currently won't boot from a memory stick and either shows a flashing folder or asks for the password if I install a newly formatted drive into the laptop.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You cannot remove the password. You can if you go to an Apple store with the original bill of sale where they will give you a code that you have to install on a memory stick and boot from it.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
You cannot remove the password. You can if you go to an Apple store with the original bill of sale where they will give you a code that you have to install on a memory stick and boot from it.
it is a brick - no one can reset it except the original owner..

but can you please clarify something.. You bought it on eBay, got your money back and still have the unit? why didn't you send it back to the seller?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have a couple of other logicboards. Maybe I can just remove the password chip and replace with another. I have a reflow station to do so.
Either that or it will always be a Linux machine. It really isn't that bad.:lmao:

·
Premium Member
17,773 Posts
Sounds like this puppy was at some point stolen. The original owner could simply have removed the firmware password by contacting Apple.

Wonder if Apple keeps a data base of reported stolen computer serial numbers? That would at least allow you to see that the computer finds it way back home.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My question exactly. He told me that there was no password on it. My other question was how was he able to install a hd with linux on it???
It's banged up really bad. I paid $225.00 for it. There is even corrosion on the logicboard, LH shift key doesn't work. 2"play in the lid, white pattern in the screen. Non of this mentioned in the listing. He told Ebay that he stated that it was sold as is but hid the rest. Thank God Ebay sided with me. I told the fellow that it must be stolen but he would't respond.

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
$225? That you already got back? Let it go. It does not sound like a treasure, anyways.

My first thought is usually that it's stolen, but in this case the computer might have been through several hands/purchasers before you got it, or the eBay seller bought it in a lot with other computers and equipment. The firmware password could have been applied at any time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well at least I ended up with 2 2gb sticks of ram, 60w adapter, and a 500 gb hd which I have yet to test out. lol
I could sell it as a Linux machine but who would want a macbook with Linux. lol

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
As the saying goes…

There isn't anything that's impossible or can't be done, some things just take a bit longer or will need a bit more money plus some patience and perseverance.
well in the OP case. it was free, they complained to eBay and got their money back and kept the product. :rolleyes:

reasons why i hate pay pal and eBay - they will side with the buyer and the seller is always burnt with loss of money and product..

·
Premium Member
15,665 Posts
well in the OP case. it was free, they complained to eBay and got their money back and kept the product. :rolleyes:

reasons why i hate pay pal and eBay - they will side with the buyer and the seller is always burnt with loss of money and product..

That doesn't seem very logical if the product truly did not work.

But it does seem like things were stretched a bit thin in this case as not all were kaput it seems. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
so, keeping something you never paid for is all right in your opinion?
Speaks volumes...

·
Registered
807 Posts
...I had to get Ebay involved and got my money back as the seller wouldn't take it back....
Not that I have an opinion on the matter, the OP did say the seller wouldn’t take it back.. that’s why he got eBay involved. Didnt see the original eBay post but purely on the op you can’t return something someone won’t take back.

BReligion

1 - 20 of 25 Posts