Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hardly ever check out Macs for sale on ebay.ca due to the fact that every other country is selling other than Canada. It's nearly impossible to find a Canadian seller on Canada's ebay site. What gives? I don't really consider it a safe deal when an item is listed from France, Australia or Hong Kong. Why has ebay.ca gone this direction? Not enough Canadian sales?
With that, where are some other good sites to check out Mac deals? I checked out Craig List, but many of the email links are dead.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Once you perform a search, you can refine it on the left-hand side. Select Canada Only from the dropdown menu (worldwide is the default).

·
Registered
226 Posts
actually, ebay.ca is just a "gateway" for Canadians. You will still see all the ads that are listed on ebay.com, ebay.hk, or whatever... its just that you will only see the ads that will sell to Canadians.

I've listed on ebay.ca.... then went to ebay.com and found my ad because I said I would sell to the USA.

if you're looking for Canadian sellers specifically, just click "search in Canada".
Also, Free Classified Ads at Kijiji Canada | Petites Annonces Classees sometimes has macs as well. but if its on kijiji, its probably on craigslist-- its worth a shot though.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've had some bad experiences with Ebay and I try to avoid using it nowadays. I am like you, I only want to buy from canadian sellers which makes my choice limited if I'm looking for a very particular item.

Have you tried kijiji.ca? It is actually run by Ebay. It's just like the "for sale" adds in the newspaper except it's very easy to use and convenient. Most of the business on that site is face to face. We sold our foosball table here at my apartment in like 24 hours. I strongly recommend it. However, when it relates to technology (i.e. a computer) you have to be extra careful. Sometimes certain stores have overstock or are closing down and need to liquidate stock so sometimes you can get lucky and catch a great deal. I once saw some XBOX360 consoles new/sealed in the box for pretty cheap.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Apple Mac Book Pro 17” 2.33 GHz
Price: $700.00
Ad ID: 13103267
Unique Visits: 33
Date Listed: 26-Apr-07

MacBook Pro is built on the revolutionary Intel Core 2 Duo — which packs the power of two processor cores (up to 2.33GHz) inside a single chip. It provides 4MB of Smart Cache, L2 cache that can be shared between the cores as needed. It delivers higher performance in 2D and 3D graphics, video editing, and music encoding. But the new engine is only part of the story. Ultimate speed, performance, and connectivity. To go. That’s MacBook Pro.

Highlights:
Intel Core 2 Duo processor
Powered by the latest generation of Intel's mobile processors plus a larger L2 cache, the new MacBook Pro is up to 39% faster than the previous MacBook Pro generation.

Built-in iSight Camera
Setting up a video conference is easy and fast with the included iChat AV and built-in iSight. Host a face-to-face dialogue with up to three other colleagues — no cords or cameras to carry around.

The MacBook Pro advantage
FireWire 800, DVI, optical digital audio, ExpressCard/34, and Gigabit Ethernet deliver high-bandwidth digital connections to your peripheral devices.

Front Row & Apple Remote
Present your photos, videos, and even Keynote presentations to an audience and control the display from up to 30 feet away.

Designed for life on the road
Dozens of unique innovations — such as a magnetic power cord, the illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor, and scrolling trackpad — put the MacBook Pro in a class by itself.

What's in the box
• MacBook Pro
• 85W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, and power cord
• Lithium-polymer battery
• Apple Remote
• DVI to VGA adapter
• Install/restore DVDs
• Printed and electronic documentation

Configuration options
• Memory up to 3GB
• Hard drive up to 200GB
• Antiglare or glossy display
• USB modem
• MagSafe Airline Adapter

More options

Included Software
• Operating System
• Applications
• Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger

The world's most advanced operating system including the latest versions of these system applications:
• Address Book
• DVD Player
• iCal
• iChat AV
• Mail
• Preview
• Safari
• Xcode
• iLife '06 suite for creating photo projects, making movies, designing DVDs, building websites, and composing music
• Front Row
• Photo Booth
• OmniOutliner
• iWork '06 30-day trial
• Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 30-day Test Drive
• FileMaker Pro 30-day trial

Specifications
• 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
• 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
• 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
• SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
• MacBook Pro 17-inch Widescreen Display
• Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
• Accessory Kit

hmmm I will take it for $600....this is Kijiji or whatever it is called!

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Never been to Kijiji. Nice stuff. Lots of sealed units, although mostly 17". I like the choice of Province.
You have to ask yourself: how are these non-apple-dealers getting sealed, new, top of the line Macs?

The answer in many cases is: The Macs don't exist, they are scams. Or they are stolen. Or they have one unit that they are selling 50 times.

·
Registered
682 Posts
CanadaRam is right, that deal is ridiculous. You still have to be weary of scams but I'm personally much more confident meeting someone face to face than sending a bunch of money by paypal to Somewhere Indiana and hoping to get what I want 3 weeks later in the mail.

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
I know there are several million stories on ebay, but here are two of mine (related to this thread);

I wanted to be safe and buy an iBook on eBay, but only from within driving distance so I could pay cash in person.
I won an iBook auction nearby, told the seller I would come see it and pay cash.
Seller said paypal only, for their "security".
I responded that their sale posting didn't really reflect reality (I searched where the iBook had come from and it didn't match the seller's story, plus their communication was spotty and they never offered a phone number although I had sent mine and my address).
I said we could meet in the location of their choice, including the lobby of a police station if they wanted, but I wasn't going to pay for something I couldn't see first.
This first-time seller refused. I guess the "security" of my money wasn't important to them.
So we cancelled the sale.
I then searched for more iBooks, found one from a seller with a high rating, located in the USA.
He sent informative, prompt emails.
I bought it from him and it arrived in better than expected condition and, unsolicited, he saved me money on shipping.

That's my ebay Canada plus USA story.

·
Registered
83 Posts
UK is Where the post is from Apple Mac Book Pro 17” 2.33 GHz" Ad on Kijiji

Hello and hanks for your mail.
Right now we are in the UK, but we can shipti from here through Fedex.
How many units do you need for now
and how soon do you need them?
Bruse Martins
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got some replies back from sellers on Kijiji (Toronto). They have (more than one) sealed 17" Mac Book Pros 2.33 ghz going for $2600 - $2800. I got a phone number from one. Has anyone actually checked into these?

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Hello and hanks for your mail.
Right now we are in the UK, but we can shipti from here through Fedex.
How many units do you need for now
and how soon do you need them?
Bruse Martins
[email protected]
Scam all the way

Any time you see {firstname}[email protected] or {firstname}[email protected] it is a West African scammer.
They seem to be under the impression that adding "store" or "business" to an email address makes it more credible. Seen over 100 of these...

Remember that any free webmail account (yahoo, hotmail, outblaze, etc) is untraceable and is one primary indicator of a scam.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Got some replies back from sellers on Kijiji (Toronto). They have (more than one) sealed 17" Mac Book Pros 2.33 ghz going for $2600 - $2800. I got a phone number from one. Has anyone actually checked into these?
Insist on seeing and booting the machine at a public meeting place, before committing. Heard of one person who went to pick up a machine, and the seller refused to let them open the box before handing over the cash :rolleyes: Said that it wouldn't be 'factory sealed' then if the buyer didn't take it.

Whaddya want to make a bet there was 6 lbs of potatoes in the box instead of a Powerbook?

Also keep in mind that someone who is willing to run a scam is also capable of arranging for several large people to relieve you of your cash when you arrive, in a 'random' street robbery.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
I can't believe you actually posted that right after my post. Are you okay?

Really, read the links in my post. Once you do, you will stop dealing with these scammers.

It's bad enough you gave them your email address. Stop now while you still have your money.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
However- what can I say. Curiosity gets the cat. This is what I got:
hi ..call me 514 972-2142, if labrador is closer to montreal .come pick it up. 2800$. i have units in toronto too
Fishy spelling.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts