Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is anyone using EasyCap to record VHS tapes on the Mac?

The video recording works fine but I can't get any audio.

The EasyCap device plugs into a USB port on the Mac - the audio from the VHS recorder feeds the same USB port but no matter what I try, a USB port doesn't show as an audio in option in preferences (which is what I would expect)

Along the same lines - one is supposed to be able to use USB mikes with the Mac.
Anyone use one of these?
How do you set up a USB port as an audio in port?

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just lost my nice, detailed post about EasyCap because my Mac crashed - so here is the short version:

Never got audio working via the EasyCap, I see others on line report the same issue.
Eventually recorded audio via RCA to Mini phone cable between VCR and Mac directly bypassing EasyCap - worked fine

Tried S-Video between VCR and EsayCap, tried two S-video cables. Nothing gave a picture on the Mac.

EasyCap has two recording options, Motion jpeg and MPEG-4.
Tried MPEG-4 but the ecording was actually a .mov file. Then tried Motion JPEG, also ended up with an .mov file

And finally, whenever one tries to close the EasyCap application, the Mac has a tentency to crash - basically a Kernel panic the way I see it.

I decided to post an then continue to write in case the Mac crashes again and I lose the short version as well.

So in summary EasyCap works but with a lot of limitations.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Do you have something else installed that may be redirecting audio like audio hijack? Does the device show up in 'Audio MIDI setup?'

Not sure if there's an option to grab this from iMovie? The easy cap software may need an update for high sierra :)

EDIT: For what it's worth, that device doesn't have stellar ratings in amazon.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just came across a bit more info on this:
https://bentrask.com/easycap/

The EasyCap software I use is 0.6.2
Works OK with El Capitan except for the items I mentioned.
All the cvideo controls like brightness ect. are dimmed out so I would have to e-adjust them on the final recording.

I bought this unit several years ago for less than $10.- so my expectations eren't very high.
Years ago I used a PCI card on an old G4 and that worked quite well - but with the newer Macs, i Mini or MBpro, a PCI card s not an option.
And at the time there was nothing else that could be used with the Mini at a reasonable price

·
Premium Member
15,654 Posts
Along the same lines - one is supposed to be able to use USB mikes with the Mac.
Anyone use one of these?
How do you set up a USB port as an audio in port?

Sorry, I'm a wee bit late here, but most USB mics we've used were recognized in the System Prefs Sound perf as input devices.

With that said, a USB mic with a preamp was usually required and we had excellent results with a Logitech desk mic, and using a plain Dollar Den type Store USB mic, an USB iMic adapter was used.

PS: For your salvager project, have you checked out the pricing to have it done commercially.

We had some old tapes converted by a fellow in Nelson BC who did an excellent job a what we considered a reasonable price.

Saved a lot of frustration and time etc. as well as mental anguish.

- Patrick
======

1 - 5 of 5 Posts