Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Early Upgrade to iPhone 3GS

11K views 62 replies 31 participants last post by  mlmichels 
#1 ·
Do you think Rogers will allow for early upgrades to iPhone 3GS. I bought my iPhone last August and it is 14 months now til I'm eligible for an upgraded phone. If anyone knows of any way to upgrade their iphones early, please let us all know!

Thank you!

#5 ·
If you're a loyal long time Rogers customer (I mean for 10+ years) they tend to give you early upgrade deals, What I see right now though is that you would be paying $199 for a new 16GB iPhone 3G S + $20x14months = $479 and you get joy of having your contract extended to 3 years from the date of purchasing the 3G S. Is it really worth it?

#8 ·
i personally think it is a waste, i too have a 3G, but seeing that the new 3.0 update is coming, it has all the same things as the 3G S except the faster loads, better battery, and vid camera basically. I was considering buying it, because my 16GB is full right now so I was going to go with the 32GB but I was thinking, now i would have to pay again for another 3 year term, and possibly pay a little more because I dont go with the data plan because i am around wifi networks all day. But in the future, i may have to switch over to that, because of the storage problem, I cannot fit everything i need on my phone as of now, so im guessing it will be a problem in the future.

#10 ·
true true, that just gave me a thought in my head if i should go ahead and sell my iphone 3G now or wait until i want to get a 3G S and sell it.

#12 ·
I doubt Rogers will offer anything that's any good ...
This has been posted from a "valued AT&T" user about upgrading early....

$399.00* - 16GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)
$499.00* - 32GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)

And this is posted at the very bottom of the Apple Store when you click on the iPhone 3Gs

For non-qualified customers, including existing AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G, the price with a new two-year agreement is $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB)

#13 ·
I'm definitely not paying the additional $280.00. I figure though that my 16GB current phone is worth somewhere between $99.00 and $150.00 on the open market since anyone can just pop in their SIM card and not have to extend their contract, it is cheaper than buying the new 16GB and the old 8GB is $99.00. That would help cover some of the $280.00 early upgrade fee. Maybe Rogers will split the $280.00 to $140.00 and then I just sell me 3G on craigslist or something and therefore I come out not having to pay the early upgrade fee.

#16 ·
and keep in mind the current 8G 3G is dropping in price to US$99 so the resale potential will not be what it used to be... still, i'm tempted!
That's $99 PLUS a three-year term. It's not like Rogers is going to be selling iPhone 3G 8GB cell phones for $99 outright anytime soon. On AT&T, it's still $99 US plus a two-year term.

#22 ·
While I think Rogers will in the end offer an upgrade plan similar to AT&T - them saying no to the iPhone 3Gs at any price until 2 years into your current contract does sort of make sense since the HUP changed to 2 years. Hopefully Rogers releases something official in the next couple of days.

#20 ·
Hopefully this answers some questions:

Rogers spokesperson Keith McArthur (@keithmcarthur) is tweeting Roger/Fido iPhone details:

Both Rogers Wireless and Fido will offer iPhone 3GS starting June 19.
Rogers/Fido pricing is $199 for 16GB iPhone 3GS; $299 for 32GB iPhone 3GS on a three-year voice and data plan.
8GB version of the iPhone 3G will drop to $99 on June 19 at Rogers and Fido with a three-year voice and data plan.
Rogers is reintroducing the $30/6GB data plan for iPhones effective tomorrow, June 9. Offer available for a limited time.

There will be a no-contract price for customers who want to upgrade before they're eligible for a subsidy.

Rogers is reintroducing the $30/6GB data plan for iPhones effective tomorrow, June 9. Offer available for a limited time.

Rogers/Fido are only national carriers to offer $25/500MB plan. 93% of iPhone users use less than 500MB so this is the right plan for most.

#21 ·
Some (f)actual information:

Rogers spokesperson Keith McArthur (@keithmcarthur) is tweeting Roger/Fido iPhone details:

Both Rogers Wireless and Fido will offer iPhone 3GS starting June 19.
Rogers/Fido pricing is $199 for 16GB iPhone 3GS; $299 for 32GB iPhone 3GS on a three-year voice and data plan.
8GB version of the iPhone 3G will drop to $99 on June 19 at Rogers and Fido with a three-year voice and data plan.

There will be a no-contract price for customers who want to upgrade before they're eligible for a subsidy.

Rogers/Fido are only national carriers to offer $25/500MB plan. 93% of iPhone users use less than 500MB so this is the right plan for most.

#24 ·
I think that there is no point in getting the 3Gs. It is not a big improvement over the 3G. If I had the first generation iPhone then I would get the 3Gs.

So - the processor is 2x faster and I get a camera that is has 33% more megapixels. I can already do video on my jailbroken 3G and my 3G is also unlocked. Soon the 3.0 sofeware will be released and the Development Team has already jailbroken it....

#29 ·
I wont be getting the S. My 3G loads up web pages fast enough for me. And getting pretty much all the features with the 3.0 update, its not a big enough improvement for me to renew a contract 1 year after getting the iphone.

#33 ·
I would hope that Rogers/Fido will follow the AT&T model on this (apart from the 2-year/3-year thing):

Customers who have had their iphones less than 18 months (ie all 3G owners) are not eligible for a straight upgrade (see below) and will have to pay an additional $200.

Customers who have had their iPhones more than 18 months ("original" iPhone owners including me) can get the new 3GS when it becomes available for $199 (16GB) or $299 (32GB) and renewing their contract for another two years.

I'm going down to the states soon anyway so I'll stop by an AT&T store and see if I can upgrade (I'm on kind of a special plan) and (I hope) by then I'll know if the 3GS can be unlocked and if so LOOK OUT BAYBEE!!! :)

Otherwise I'll just wait till I'm sure the 2G iPhone can run 3.0 and be unlocked, then upgrade to that. I'll miss out on a few features (like stereo bluetooth dammit) but will be able to do 95% what a 3G can do and 90% of what a 3GS can do.

#35 ·
Customers who have had their iPhones more than 18 months ("original" iPhone owners including me) can get the new 3GS when it becomes available for $199 (16GB) or $299 (32GB) and renewing their contract for another two years.
The original iPhone was never released here, so any upgrade offers would only extend to iPhone 3G owners.

Still rocking with a first gen iPhone myself though. I am surprised that so many people think you cannot get edge to work on rogers with a first gen iPhone.

#36 ·
All of you who don't want to pay a termination fee, have some people here take over your contract and offer your current iPhone 3Gs with it for free. I'd be willing to take over a contract that just has 14 months left on it.

#37 ·
No one in Canada can have 14 months left on a contract if they took the subsidized iPhone 3G as it required a 3 year contract... best case on June 19 is 25 months.

#39 ·
What happens to my 3G?

If I did decide to pay extra to upgrade to a 3GS, do I get to keep my 3G iPhone I have? Can I than just use it as an iTouch - just not use the phone part? I've never upgraded before, so I'm not sure... will my iphone still work, but just not the phone part?

#40 ·
If I did decide to pay extra to upgrade to a 3GS, do I get to keep my 3G iPhone I have? Can I than just use it as an iTouch - just not use the phone part? I've never upgraded before, so I'm not sure... will my iphone still work, but just not the phone part?
It's yours. I would sell it while it's still worth a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.