Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have one? I heard that they may be just about the best vacuums you can get on the market and are well worth the $500-700 price tag. Is it really worth it? What are some decent alternatives that aren't so hard on the wallet?

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have an old canister electrolux that I inherited from the family - it still works great. A friend of mine that owns his own cleaning company will only purchase Dysons he says that everything else is wasting money -you get what you pay for

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Consumer Reports doesn't give them a very good rating, their 2 best buys are: Kenmore (Sears) Progressive with Direct Drive 35922 $300US (Rated 74) and Eureka Boss Smart Vac Ultra 4870 $150US (Rated 68). The Dyson was Rated at 62 and has a price tag of $550US.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Consumer Reports doesn't give them a very good rating, their 2 best buys are: Kenmore (Sears) Progressive with Direct Drive 35922 $300US (Rated 74) and Eureka Boss Smart Vac Ultra 4870 $150US (Rated 68). The Dyson was Rated at 62 and has a price tag of $550US.
Consumer reports isn't worth the paper its printed on.
Worst reviews in the world IMO.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We have a Dyson and love it! I think it is one of the best purchases I ever made. If you want to get one a little cheaper, sign up for the linens n things email newsletter and they periodically send out 20% off any one item, or 20% off your purchase coupons (read the small print, sometimes they exclude Dysons, sometimes they don't).

I also cashed in a lot of airmiles for LNT gift cards. We ended up only being out of pocket about $100 for an awesome vacuum. All Dysons sold now also have a 5 year warranty.

Laura

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Could be....
I like consumersearch which is a kind of "overall reviews"
Vacuum Cleaner Reviews: Upright Vacuum Cleaner Reviews
Dyson vacuums are credited with shaking up the whole vacuum cleaner market in the last few years. However, we saw some conflicting reviews regarding Dyson upright vacuum cleaners. U.K-magazine Which? Online has taken Dyson to task for its below-average repair record, which the magazine reported after its surveys of hundreds of Dyson owners. In its 2006 vacuum tests, editors excluded Dyson from the list of recommended models based not on the vacuums' performance, but on this poor reliability. However, in this year's testing editors post a follow-up. In the latest tests, the newest Dyson vacuums appear to have improved. Owners are reporting fewer breakdowns, and the newest machines appear to be better built than in the past. Lastly, Dyson (perhaps in response to complaints) has upped the warranty for new purchases to a full five years. This new five-year warranty also applies to U.S. Dyson vacuums.

A couple of reviews take a close look at Dyson and its claim to have the best suction. Both Good Housekeeping, The Wall Street Journal and testers at Grand Rapids-based WZZM News tested a Dyson vacuum alongside competitors, finding that Dyson didn't hold any particular advantage. Consumer Reports puts Dyson to the test with pet hair. The company's DC14 Animal and DC17 Animal both are claimed to better pick up pet hair from upholstery. Consumer Reports tested the Dyson vacuums along with dozens of others on their ability to pick up pet hair from carpet. Dyson vacuums weren't a particular standout.

However, hundreds of consumer reviews at Amazon.com and Epinions highly rate most Dyson models, despite their high cost. Although the positive reviews are sprinkled with complaints about heavy weight, awkward controls, hard-to-find replacement parts and breakdowns, most owners say the extra cost was worth it. Early reviews are particularly positive for the newest Dyson DC17 Animal (*est. $550) , which owners say is more powerful and easier to push and pull than the older Dyson DC14. Other reviews also say this model improves on ease-of-pushing, one of the few consistent complaints in reviews. However, Dyson vacuums cost twice or three times that of competing vacuums, and several reviews say a Dyson vacuum isn't for everyone. Dyson vacuums are bulky and heavy; most models weigh about 20 pounds (one brand new Dyson, the DC18, weighs 16 pounds). If you have a lot of stairs or have limited mobility, a lighter vacuum is a better bet.

·
Registered
839 Posts
No one suggesting a central vac? Lots of suction there, and no weight issues.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Especially on Macs - they don't seem to understand the basic idea that Macs are different from PCs - they have taken points from a Mac because it doesn't run Windows.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a DC 21, the canister one and LOVE it. I'm a clean freak and this thing is great. If you look at good vacuums the dysons are pretty cheap. My last one an electrolux epic 1500 was over $1500 and that was 15 years ago. If the DC 21 makes it five years I'll be happy.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Central systems are way out of my price range, besides I live in a condo. :)

I went to London Drugs the other day and saw a Vax vacuum, they claimed to have 50% more suction power than the Dyson DC07 and on sale were half the price ($250 for the Vax vs. $500 for the Dyson). Mind you by the end of the summer half of my suite will be converted from carpet to laminate and I may decide to do the same with the bedrooms eventually but we'll see. MadMac yea if I think about it that way, $100-$140 a year for something that'll create a cleaner home is something well worth it.

Thanks for your opinions!

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
No one suggesting a central vac? Lots of suction there, and no weight issues.
Probably best for a house with a garage and an unfinished basement or a new house. I'm not convinced their the best either, as the longer the hose (counting from the machine in the garage (not just the hose connected to the wall) the worse suction gets.

·
Registered
839 Posts
But the removal of a size restriction on the actual vacuum, means suction loss is less of an issue. Buy the size that suits the dwelling, and get one that vents outdoors, thus negating any concerns about dust leakage and HEPA filters.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Since Dyson the inventor is a Brit, Brit's rave about Dyson vaccuum cleaners. At the Vaccuum store here in vancouver where I have bought two machines they swear by Miele, a german brand.

The machines are excellent. This store sells nothing but vacuums and many different brands. You ask the old European guy at the counter what machine he likesbest and he says without hesitation Miele.

Entry model is $499 - worth it.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
We hear great things about Miele, too. From what I've seen, they are nicely styled, as well. We had a little test demo of one two weekends back; impressively quiet. We have a brutish shopvac that gets the job done but is excruciatingly loud. Looking forward to relegating that sucker to the studio once we pull the trigger on its kinder, sweeter domestic replacement.

I'm resigned to dropping around a grand to get the kind of machine we can stand.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
I've had a Miele "Red Velvet" for a few years now - without a doubt it's the best dang vacuum I've ever used. It's built like a tank, it performs superbly, it's very manoeuverable, and it's very quiet. I know I'll have this machine for quite a while but whenever the time comes for me to get a new vacuum, it will definitely be another Miele. Sure these machines are expensive but you get what you pay for.

As for the Dyson brand, they are interesting machines from a technical viewpoint, and the specs & performance are supposed to be good, but I find them hysterically overstyled and gadgety. I've also heard they're quite noisy.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
It's pretty much Miele v. Dyson in London. Anything else will last you half as long, including previous 'Volvo of suckers' Electrolux.

Concepts are basically different: Miele is sturdy German engineering with lots of filters and green concerns. Great aftersales service, including reasonably priced parts. Dyson stands for British tinckering, underdog succeeds against all odds etc. Very groovy design and Dyson is a design genius. Remember the beach-ball wheelbarrow anyone?

Anyway, D. also stands for continuous sucking power no matter how full the dust basket. This should be an advantage in theory but in practice my Miele keeps sucking hard up until the bag is nearly 100% full, so the advantage is slim. I am on my second Miele in 20 years and the first one still works: it is simply that I damaged it by vacuuming too much plaster dust during various renovation projects. It didn't like it after a while, it is now sucking at perhaps only 60% power, so I keep it for odd jobs (and more plaster!)

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
You have to own a Dyson to "get" a Dyson. It's ironic that this should show up on this board... I find a Dyson is like the "Mac" of vacuums. Although my Dyson does look pretty, it's not just about looks and cool factor. The Dyson is all about "good design" and smart, logical use. The handle for the upright is actually the extended hose for baseboards and larger pieces. One click and the hose is off, press it back in place and it's on again. The simple "one button to remove" cannister is nice. The flip lid bottom to empty without ever going near the dirt is genius.

You really have to use one regularly to understand how well it works compared to other vacuums.

A7

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.