Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what he thinks:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Apple Computer Corp. will switch to Intel processors within the next 12 to 18 months. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally, I think that a Motorola to IBM -- IBMs chips are currently only in latest iBooks -- switch is more viable. The 970 anyone?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Dvorak is an Apple-bashing moron. Just about anything he says is either lies, wrong, or insane.

Maybe after Hussein is taken out of the picture, we can have this @$$pimple removed from the mainstream media...

:cool:

·
Canadian By Choice
117,367 Posts
Strongblade, re your comment that "Dvorak is an Apple-bashing moron", didn't he come out within the past year with some other anti-Apple statement? I tend not to go to the Opinions section of this online PC magazine, especially after Jim Seymour died (in my opinion he was a wise and gentle man, and will be missed by many). I wonder why Dvorak goes out of his way to "target" Apple computers and the company as he has lately?

·
Registered
237 Posts
It seems that every time Dvorak gets lonely (poor hits on his website), he says something stupid about Apple and the hits on his website just skyrocket.

He's outlived any usefulness he's had and maybe it would be better if we patted him on the head and told him everything is going to be alright...

John

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Some Dvorak gems:
" ,,, It has used the 6502, then the 68K, and now the PowerPC. Each transition happened almost flawlessly. ..."

Yeah, flawlessly if you consider a complete rework of the hardware and software is trivial (Apple ][ to MacOS, 6502 to 68000).

" ... Apple's only concern is cannibalization. It cannot change architectures with a pipeline full of PowerPC products. .."

Apparently he feels it would be trivial to change architectures with a pipeline full of x86 products, and that Microsoft wouldn't have any concerns if Windows ran exclusively on PPC architectures.

" ... Apple will announce its Intel initiative by showing a transition machine that uses both the Intel and Motorola processors. ..."

On a related note, General Motors will announce the aerocar, while Ford counters with the watercar. Chrysler introduces a Jeep that not only climbs mountains and traverses jungles for games of hide and seek, but flies and floats as well.

I can think of one thing that flies and floats, and it seems like it has a lot in common with Dvorak's article.

" ... Announcing the new architecture in July at the next Macworld Expo would be ideal, since it takes place in the media center, New York City ..."

Apple isn't going to MacWorld New York in July. Possibly nobody is.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
The article is complete BS. He doesn't mention the IBM PowerPC 970, and why the hell would Apple create a 'hybrid' computer with a G4 and an Intel chip in it. The architecture to support that would probably be too complex and the machine would be too costly.

Apple is going to the PowerPC 970... all road signs point to that. Apple will prove him wrong within 6 months is my guess... IMHO the machines based on the PowerPC 970 will be introduced before November, 2003.

The roadmap of the PowerPC 970 and it's successor looks very impressive and aggressive... it will more than satisfy Apple.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Dvorak is one of the Mac community's arch enemies, he does seem to say BS just stir up the sensitive Apple Evangilists.
He should just go away, his predictions are really off.
The 68k to powerPC transition was flawless because Apple installed a 68K emulation program in the rom of evry powerpc Mac made.
I dont know if the 68K emulator is still existing in Classic mode, but it served it's usefulness well for the last 8 years.
And you cant run any Apple IIe programs on any Mac without a software or hardware solution.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
While I don't really like John Dvorak or the articles that he writes, I dont think he is worth wasting bandwidth complaining about.

Correct me if I am wring, but Didn't he used to write for MacWorld way back in the day? Or am I thinking of someone else?

--PB

·
Canadian By Choice
117,367 Posts
I am still curious as to why Dvorak seemingly goes out of his way to "target" Apple computers and the company as he has lately?

I can't recall his name, but there was another major PC Computing Editor that utilized a Mac for a month and was pleased with his experience.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm not sure this isn't losing the direction of the thread, but the other editor was David Coursey in a series of columns for ZD NetZD Net Anchordesk. Considering that the Mac experiment went a little longer than planned, I'd say he liked the machine a lot. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts