Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woweeeeeeee I love this layout!!!!

All the vowells are on one line except the letter y. You can type most words from the middle row with this layout. Plus there is a lot less hand and wrist movement involved. I just popped the keys off my apple keyboard to the dvorak layout and selected the option in menu layout. My typing speed has increased in the last two days with this new layout.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have been thinking about trying that layout too... but doesn't it throw you off when you have to go back to a normal keyboard at school or work?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Almost a year since I started a long thread on this subject - I'm sure you'll find it interesting ... here is a link .

I have been using it exclusively, except for games of course, for over a year, at work (WinXP) and at home (OS X). I really believe it's more ergonomical and faster. It's like playing a different instrument! After all this time, I am getting slower at qwerty typing - down to about 30wpm from 50wpm. Fortunately, I almost never have to type in qwerty, which is probably the real reason that I'm getting slower at it.

Here's a few notes:
- Some typing tutor programs really support Dvorak, i.e. they start you with examples such as "aaa hhh ooo ttt eee nnn uuu sss". Of course, they progress into real words much more quickly than the qwerty tutorials.
- You can switch layouts with Cmd-Opt-Space.
- Different users have different layouts. The login screen uses one of them; I think it's the one configured during setup.
- Sometimes keyboard shortcuts being activated by speech commands are confused by using this layout. MS Windows is even buggier when it comes to Dvorak.
- Dvorak is pronounced just like it's spelled, unlike the musical composer's name with has a soft j sound after the r.

Glad to know the word is spreading!

[ January 10, 2004, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: elmer ]

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
It's a crime against our kids that we don't somehow have a politician or educator who is willing to stand up and say enough of the QWERTY - ban it to the trash bin of history where it truly desperately belongs :mad:

It's a health menace and productivity drag on the entire world.
Dvorak should be legislated onto every computer supplier and school board and no kid from this day on should ever see a QWERTY. grrrrrrr

Sometimes we humans are seriously stupid.......we can't get something simple and so obvious like this right pity the planet for the serious decisions.

Good on you for learning it.....end rant. :cool:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only one problem,

When I need to log back in after a shutdown, Jaguar doesn't recognize the dvorak layout when I go to enter my password. Is there a fix?

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Try a password that uses the number pad instead :cool:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I tried Dvorak a few years ago in my PC days. It just didn't work well for me, but I'm willing to try it again. Perhaps I wasn't patient enough back then.

Do you have any recommendations of good typing programs to learn this layout? I'm still using OS9.1 BTW.

Hmm...I guess I'd also have to learn how to take the keys off my icekey. One step at a time I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts