Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally pulled the trigger and hit purchase on a Mac mini from the refurb section of the Apple Store (1.66 Intel Core Duo, 100GB, 1MB, Superdrive for $889). Given that it will be in my hands in a few days, I need to get a DVI>HDMI cable to plug it into my 52inch JVC DLP. Can any Ottawa natives suggest where I can pick up such a cable for a reasonable price (I'm discounting Future Shop and Best Buy for obvious reasons, unless you convince me otherwise). I'll also be looking for a wireless mouse and keyboard, so the same question applies to these items too.

Thanks in advance - it's good to finally be on board!
Nick

·
CIO of CYA
3,857 Posts
MICROSOFT Wireless Optical Desktop 700 Keyboard

Enjoy freedom from desk clutter with an optical mouse and a compact keyboard design in Microsoft's most affordable wireless desktop. Control your favorite activities with Media Keys and easily programmable hot keys.
Free Shipping!!
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals?c=ca&cs=CADHS1&l=en&s=dhs

MX610 retails for 89.96 originally, 10 buttons, laser, wireless mouse. Sale starts on june 6th.
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448976

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Maybe you could find something like this Cables Unlimited DVI MaleHDMI Female Adapter ADP-3780 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca at radioshack. An HDMI to DVI adapter.

I see cables are expensive at Futureshop and Bestbuy. Tigerdirect has a HDMI to DVI cable for $30.00 but you'd have to order it online. This would be the same thing as DVI to HDMI, right? PPA 6-Foot HDMI to DVI Cable 3756 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

You would think there would be a local retail store that has cheaper cables. I wonder if Walmart would.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
I have ordered from Monoprice and they have been great. Even with the small shipping charge, you're still saving quite a bit. And they ship their cables in small padded envelopes by regular mail, so duty and customs brokerage charges are not an issue with small orders.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
Indeed. I've picked up many electronics cables from Princess Auto. They have incredible prices usually, which is the reason you should call ahead to see if they have stock. In Fact, I purchased my DVI cable and DVI-HDMI converter there, I believe.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well i had the same issue when i got my new LCD HDTV. it wasn't too much of complication for my Xbox 360, nor for my dvd and vcr, but for my mac to it.

There is cables for it, but i had already a DVI cable and London drug had an adapter for 40 bux for DVI to HDMI. so i have my shinny new tv on my mac. Excellent for gaming too.:D :D :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey I'm in the same boat- but I think ordering the cable is the only way to get a reasonable price. Check out Monoprice:

MonoPrice.com - Best quality products at the lowest price

They are from the US, so shipping and duties may be an issue- but at those prices, it is worth a shot...

Cheers,
Snubnose
I have to agree. I have looked around Ottawa for this cable, and the prices are usually outrageous. So I went to MonoPrice and ordered a 10' cord for like $13. And oops, they sent me a 6' cable by mistake. I email them, they tell me to keep the 6' and they send me a 10' for free on high priority.

I'll be shopping there again. Oh, and the cable has been great.

·
Registered
814 Posts
:confused: Electronics cables from a car dealership?
Since when is Princess Auto a car dealership??? They sell all sorts of equipment... not one single car!

I purchased my DVI - HDMI cable from Ebay.ca, total was $20 including shipping! It works VERY well & its like 6 feet long so I can have my laptop hooked up to it from quite a distance from the TV. Quality is awesome!

Why not get yourself the new Bluetooth Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse? They look very elegant!

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
And don't forget the new Carbon Computing Ottawa store.
Carbon's price might be higher to reflect a bricks-and-mortar location, but if they have it, you'd get the cable right away.
(I actually don't know Carbon's price, if they have the cable. Maybe it's cheaper!)

And you'd be supporting a local Apple retailer that's taken a chance on us whiny, Ottawa Apple users.

* By "us whiny, Ottawa Apple users", I mean "me".

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hey I'm in the same boat- but I think ordering the cable is the only way to get a reasonable price. Check out Monoprice:

MonoPrice.com - Best quality products at the lowest price

They are from the US, so shipping and duties may be an issue- but at those prices, it is worth a shot...

Cheers,
Snubnose
Just to add to this. I bought $80 worth of home theater cables and stuff from them, chose USPS shipping, and didn't have to pay a cent of duty or taxes upon import.

I think as long as you choose USPS over UPS you will win every time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts