Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a 24-inch, 1920 x 1200 display with my Mini.

The Mini has both a miniDP and an HDMI output - the monitor has VGA, DVI and DP inputs.
I was wondering which is the best video cable to use.

I have been using a Mini PP to DVI cable which worked fine.
Just switched to a Mini DP to DP cable.
Display seems a bit clearer or is that just my imagination.

I assume with the DVI cable there is some conversion that needs to take place rom Mini DP to DVI, I also assume that with Mini DP to DP there is no conversion, just a different physical size of the same electrical interface.
So Mini DP to DP should be better.

Any comments?

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
I had some minor issues with DVI-D. Monitor would blink off for a few seconds then come back. Usually took about an hour before it was stable.

No problems with DP. Can't say there was any difference in clarity or sharpness, same size monitor.

Both were from thunderbolt port on a 2011MBP. May have been the DVI adaptor.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was more interested in the conversion aspect of DP to DVI itself and the effect it may have on the video signal and subsequently on the displayed image.

This article gives some insight into the "passive" adapter which is probably what most of them are based on the price they sell for
Weekend Reverse-Engineer: Passive DisplayPort Adapter | Mike's Mods

One of my DP to DVI cables just gave up the ghost - not that it's completely dead but the image on the monitor is all washed out.

I would think a mini DP to DP cable is more reliable since there are no components to fail.
Image quality, at least theoretically, should be the same with either cable.

·
Premium Member
15,654 Posts
I would think a mini DP to DP cable is more reliable since there are no components to fail.
Image quality, at least theoretically, should be the same with either cable.

That makes sense and an interesting article link thanks.

Unfortunately most of that stuff is well beyond my electronics knowledge and experience. Heck, I didn't even know there were both active and passive adapters.

I think the last time I needed any video adapter it was for using some VGA ports/adapters and some special propriety Apple Cinema display adapter. Yet another "standard" as Apple would call it. :-(

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm an EE and didn't know there were two basic types of DP to DVI adapters, although from an Engineering point of view they are both active adapters, one more complex than the other..
A passive adapter would use only passive components, resistors, capacitors or inductors.
Both of these adapter types described use active components - what is described as a "passive" adapter seems to be essentially just a level shifter, the protocol conversion is done by the Mac; the "active" one is more complex doing both protocol conversion and level shifting

1 - 6 of 6 Posts