Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running 10.4.11 and suddenly DVD's will mount only occasionally - more often they won't mount - just come spitting back out.

I've tried a variety of DVD's and CD's to see if they were corrupt, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I can burn DVDs but can't mount them after burning.

Could this be a hardware or software problem? Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
Have you tried creating a new user profile and using the drive from there? If that has failed read-on

Replace the PRAM battery. Could just be that a weak battery is your issue. Should be $10-$20 at any Mac retailer that offers tech service. You can replace it yourself.

IF you still have the back-up you should have run before updating to 10.4.11. I would back-up my current system then revert to 10.4.10. If that fails to resolve the issue then I would indeed be trying to decide if it was worth a new Optical drive or if it was replacement time.

If reverting to an earlier back-up is not possible; Replace the PRAM battery then attempt to boot from the system restore disk. You should be able to open the tray with the eject key, then shut-down with the tray open, insert the disk, close the tray as you boot-up holding down the C key. You don't want to blow away the system, but if you can boot from the factory disks, then it is possible that you have a software issue. In that case, further troubleshooting should be done in the software area, before replacing the drive. Otherwise it is almost certainly the drive.

NOTE: iBooks and MacBooks do not have PRAM batteries.

·
Premium Member
9,114 Posts
Interesting!

My old G4 DVD drive has been acting up lately as well. Still the original drive - now eight years old.
I keep meaning to replace the PRAM battery since I was having display problems at start up. have the battery sitting here gathering dust - probably something to do tomorrow to see if that makes any difference as far as the DVD drive is concerned.

My eMac's DVD drive has started to add up as well. Does the eMac have a PRAM battery also?

Edit: Well, I just found out they do, but where is the battery located? I didn't see it when I replaced the memory with a larger one recently.

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts

My eMac's DVD drive has started to add up as well. Does the eMac have a PRAM battery also?

Edit: Well, I just found out they do, but where is the battery located? I didn't see it when I replaced the memory with a larger one recently.
Should be visible when you open the memory access door. May be tucked away but that's where it will be.

Good rule of thumb replace PRAM batteries every 3 years. All the recent Macs have them, except iBooks and MacBooks. They all use the same battery as well, so any good Mac dealer should have them. Quick test is to shutdown your internet connection and reboot the computer. If the Date and Time are screwy it's past time for a battery.

I am not at all sure this is the root of the issue in this case, but I have seen enough times where it was, that it is the place to start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried using another user profile - no luck.

The strange thing is the drive will allow CDs to mount and some DVDs, but the ones I've just burned won't mount.

Perhaps the burning software? I use Toast 5.2.3

I just tried burning a DVD with the Apple "Burn" feature and it showed on the desktop when completed, but won't mount when I ejected and re-inserted it.

I tried another batch of DVDs - no luck

I tried a DVD authoring program and got the following error message:
"The burn to the PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D drive failed. The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media."

This leads me to believe that the drive is shot, but I will ask my friendly techie at "Click On Mac" about the PRAM battery and instal it - it has never been replaced that I know of.

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
OK it is failing to properly burn DVDs. That is an entirely different matter. I would still replace the battery, but I am reasonably sure the issue is with the drive.

Get the latest version of Toast that is compatible with your OS. Toast 5.2x is really out of date.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.