Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I work at an ad agency, and we just finished our new commercial (8 months of my life...)

I need to send it to some Clients nationally, and don't really have time to dub and ship 30+ copies of the commercial.

I have a DVD of the commercial. I realize this is sort of a "grey" area, but is there a Mac program our guys in the studio can use to decode the DVD into a file that accessible by Quicktime, to make it a Quicktime file?

Thanks.

·
Registered
918 Posts
It just may have a .mov ending on the file. If you can find this file you probably can use it, let me know and I will give you more info.

John

·
Registered
74 Posts
Once the video has been multiplexed, it can't be decoded.

Best thing to do is dump it down to digital tape from the DVD and upload it again through firewire. As long as there is not any copy protection added to the disc you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Where is the master? Doesn't really make sense. If it's your commercial and you did it why don't you have the source?

Seems kind of strange. Who mastered the DVD? Ask them to export it into another format for you.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Well, let's make the "grey area" black and white.

The DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act) probibits US residents from defeating encryption. It doesn't prevent Canadians from doing anything. So, no problem there.

There may well be no encryption on the DVD; it's not mandatory to use it. If so, that simplifies things quite a bit for you.

I'm not quite sure why you don't have a QT stream available, since it's your company. But, assuming your firm owns the copyrights, there's no copyright issues. No problem there.

The tools you need are readily available. You may find it worth your while to invest in QTPro and QTMPEG-2 decoder options (available from the AppleStore). QTPro comes with the Sorenson Pro 3.1 encoder built in, which preserves the most quality in medium to large file sizes (my latest project went from 700MB raw DV to 120MB via Sorensen @720x480 pixels and 12MB via Sorenson @ 320x240). Quality is very good (about the same as a hollywood movie trailer available from the QT sites).

Still, the guys who produced this project should be doing this for you. It's a lot easier for them to do it than to do it the hard way (what you'll be doing).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts