Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if there is DVD copy software available for the Mac?

To copy movies.

All I seem to be able to find is PC stuff

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I recall there being a good piece of software on MacUpdate which allowed you to easily copy DVD's under Mac OS X, but MacUpdate pulled it and then his product was pulled from his own web site as legal authorites overran his operation of distrubuting the software.

If you intend to copy commerical DVD's, I wouldn't advise it. Most new DVD's nowadays use highly-advanced security protection on DVD's to make copying them pratically impossible for thr most part, anyway.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.

Doesn't seem to be cost effective.

Unusual that the PC world has dedicated software that seems to do it all.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
this is only theft if he is copying movies that he does not own. I make backup of some of my DVD's and it is perfectly legal for me to do so. I do not sell or give away copies of my backup DVD's to anyone.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JohnnyG4,

this is only to see if it can be done and how!

Why would you want to copy a movie?

There's the cost of time, the blank disc? Poorer quality video on the movie because to fit a commercial movie onto a single sided/single layer disc it needs to be recompressed and with that you lose picture quality and introduce unwanted artifacts. Also and not least you lose the bonus features on the disc which sometimes are quite interesting.

I agree, it is theft, so why would anyone want to do that? To save a couple of bucks? Not worth it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Guys

It is NOT theft to make a copy of a DVD you own as long as it is only for your personal use.

Why would you want to??

If you have kids in the house that know how to use the DVD player they can destroy discs quite quicky and they can be expensive or impossible to replace.

Disney movies are only relesed for a short time and then disappear for ten years. If one of them gets ruined it can be a heartbreak if you are trying to complete a collection.

I frequently make copies of DVD's just to protect them from this scenario.

Lets not jump the gun by assuming everyone trying to copy discs is trying to steal them.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Although JohnnyG4 is correct, this thread is potentially a bad idea, but I look at this from the same perspective as CD ripping.

If you have purchased a legal copy of the movie, I don't see why you should not be able to have the ability to "rip" it to hard drive. Some people with laptops prefer this so they consume less battery power (for trips on planes, etc) as a DVD rom drive will consume more power.

I've done some ripping, purely out of the curiousity of "how do these things work"? perspective as well.

However, I've always done it on one of my owned store-bought DVDs.

So, I do highly recommend that any 'less reputable' use of such software be not mentioned here.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
some of my DVD's that I have backed up have not lost any quality. Quality remains the same. The only time you lose quality is on double layer dvds, some DVD's (generaly older movies or older dvds) will work fine because they dont have all the bonus or extra features. Movies like LOTR will not, you would have to compress and lose quality. I only backup the harder to find DVD's.

·
Registered
435 Posts
its legal to rent a DVD and copy it. AS LONG AS IT IS FOR PERSONAL USE. And by personnal it means that you are not going to loan the DVD to friends so they dont have to rent it.

The cost of you copying it instead of buying is already factored in the cost of the DVD at the video club and the price of the blank DVD.

Well, it was like that with VHS, I dont understand why you couldnt do it with DVD. The key word is PERSONNAL USE.

I do it with episode of 24 that I rent so I can watch them according to MY schedule.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
You might want to check into the legality of copying a rented disc. I really don't think that qualifies as reasonable personal use. If you rent it, you are paying for the right to view during the specified period. You haven't purhcased a license to the content.

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is a sticky subject.

The legalities of what can be done with dvds you either own or rent.

Personally I make backup copies of my expensive hard to find dvds. My sisters kids are always going into my entertainment centre when they come over and they get into my cds and dvds. Sure they like watching the movies and listening to the music but they don't know what the monetary value is of my collection. If it wasn't for my powermacs capability for backing up or making 'copies' of dvds and cds that I have legally purchased, I would be a very angry and poor man. All I do is make another copy of my original when another copy is scratched and tossed around the living room. Yes, they are that bad at taking care of anything delicate. I have my originals in a box that they can't get into.
As long as I am the only person who uses the backup copies. Than to my knowledge, no law has been broken. But then again, I'm not a copyright lawyer.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
This whole topic is a "gray" area.

But I do like the statement made by nbr10:

If you have kids in the house that know how to use the DVD player they can destroy discs quite quicky and they can be expensive or impossible to replace.

Disney movies are only relesed for a short time and then disappear for ten years. If one of them gets ruined it can be a heartbreak if you are trying to complete a collection.
This is so true. I've bought all the Pixar movies, and I've experienced this first hand with my Nieces & Nephews. All was good until they got their hands on my Finding Nemo DVD. The next thing I knew, the disks were out of the case, grubby little paw prints all over the disks, and the paper sleeve almost ruined. Fortunately I was able to save everything. And that was only for one hour.

Now imagine what damage would have been done if they lived there full time?

That being said, I think that making a back up of a DVD that you own (to preserve an already bought DVD) is OK. I would rather them destroy a copied DVD than the original.

Also, gowyn mentioned that the quality of a copied DVD is lost. Not so. It is still a digital copy. There is no compression involved when copying a DVD. DVD2OneX merely "trims the fat" off of the disk (no special features, menus, subtitles etc.) just the movie, chapters and the audio track you select. This is how it is able to fit on a 4GB DVD. Therefore, no quality is lost.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
My original DVD movies see the inside of a drive only when I need to copy it. The rest of the time they are safely locked away.

I haul all my movies with me in my motor home, and if I took originals they would suffer the same fate from travel vibrations that my copies do. Essentially, I wear them out every three years or so. (I carry then in an empty 50 CD bulk container to conserve both space and weight in the motor home. They eventually rub together and scratch from the vibration when traveling, no matter what I do.)

If I could find an insert that would go between each one it would help them last longer.

I don't feel I am doing anything wrong.

I do not agree however with "renting" a movie and then copying it. That is theft, pure and simple. You rent a movie for a set period of time, not forever by copying it.

My two cents worth.

Cheers

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I do not agree however with "renting" a movie and then copying it. That is theft, pure and simple. You rent a movie for a set period of time, not forever by copying it.
Agreed - renting a movie and then copying it is pure theft. What you pay to rent the movie is paying for the limited time period you are renting it for - nothing more.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I carry then in an empty 50 CD bulk container to conserve both space and weight in the motor home. They eventually rub together and scratch from the vibration when traveling, no matter what I do.
To SINC- get a CD binder, or a few small CD carry cases-the $ stores here have them for $1(hold 12-you can divide your discs by genre/label the box, etc.) Nicer binders (Caselogic, etc.) for up to 100+ CDs or DVDs are also not expensive. All have plastic inserts to protect the discs...better ones can be zipped closed.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
HJS I do have cases that zip up and hold a dozen which I use for two week trips, but when I want to take my whole collection with me for a couple of months stay, they would take up too much storage in a 27 foot motor home, thus the CD bulk case.

I guess if I made a pattern, I could make inserts myself out of foam or something, but again that cuts down on the 50 disk capacity.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 33 Posts