Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone play DVD's for the kids while driving in the car ? What is the battery life range for the different powerbooks when used as an expensive DVD player ? Can it be poweredfrom the car cigarette lighter ?
Is playback affected by road vibrations ?

Does anyone use their laptop on a boat ? Any problems from from being in a damper environment ?

Some of the reasons that I'm considering getting a laptop as my next computer.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I've used my trusty Pismo on boats, in cars and once I sucessfully watched a whole DVD in terrible turbulence while flying. (it distracted me from imminent death)

It didn't seem to skip or anything and the battery (the Pismo can hold two, but you have to lose the DVD player to accomplish this) seemed to make it through a DVD just fine. Depends how old the batt is, I suspect.

Your best bet for powering it from a cigarette lighter outlet is to buy an inverter from Radio Shack or LD. Last time I checked they weren't terribly expensive, and they will allow you to run any 110v device from a car outlet. Not just the PowerBook. Pretty handy little gizmo, if you ask me.

I bought my Pismo because I was on the road all day every day for months at a time. It is a rugged beast and has never let me down, no matter what the temp or humidity.

Just my 2 cents worth. ;)

·
Registered
433 Posts
when i was living in victoria i'd travel to vancouver by the ferries/bus and my iBook made it! it's a life saver.

i would say the batt. on my ibook lasts about 2 hours while watching a dvd. roughly.

Phil

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would a trip from Toronto to PEI in a wagon with a 1 yr old standard poodle and 2 high energy kids aged 5 and 6 be possible !!! ?

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I hear Can. Tire is having a sale on the ear protectors that lumberjacks use, so yes it is possible. :D
You might want to get earphones for the little ones I find that they concentrate more on the movie when thats all they can hear. Sort of like a time warp effect. Again R Shack has splitters.
Robert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts