Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems burning my movies to DVD discs so that I can play them in a regular DVD player. I have used Toast Titanium and Popcorn, but after trying both of these apps the discs cannot be read by the DVD players I own. I have also tried Burn, but it has sync issues where the audio and video become out of sync. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't need menus or chapters or anything fancy, I just want to be able to watch my movies on my TV.

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
Some players can not read burned disks at all (mostly older players). Other players may have problems if you burn at too high of a speed (you should use the lowest setting, like x2 speed).

Barring that, make sure you burn to DVD-R media - it is the industry standard. DVD+R only works on selected players, and even then, you could have problems because one can not make a proper DVD Video disk with +R media.

The other point is that your video files will need to have an appropriate Codec and video format that is entirely compatible with DVD player. Make sure to cover these bases first, then it can be narrowed down further...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have used a DVD+R before and it has worked on my dvd player when I used the Burn app. The only problem is that the video and audio were out of sync after Burn reformatted the actual file. So for me +R will work but I know that -R is the industry standard.

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
^^^
I use Burn - no problem. A sync problem sounds like a problem with the video format itself, rather than the burning process.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^
I use Burn - no problem. A sync problem sounds like a problem with the video format itself, rather than the burning process.
When I play back the original file before burn converts it it is fine, there is no sync issue. However when burn converts it to the format for burning I opened that video file and it is out of sync.

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
When I play back the original file before burn converts it it is fine, there is no sync issue. However when burn converts it to the format for burning I opened that video file and it is out of sync.
This can happen with some of the more exotic formats; the solution is to demux the video and audio (ie turn them into separate files), convert each to standard formats as needed, then remux.

ffmpegX is good for this, as is MPEG Streamclip. Both are free-ish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great, thanks for the help guys. First thing's first I'm off to the store to exchange these DVD+Rs to DVD-Rs as this is the root cause of my problem and will try my old method (Toast Titanium) and see what happens from then. I thought there was no difference between +R and -R after reading several forums, but after checking various DVD player manuals and reading one of the responses here it seems that -R is the standard and is the main cause of my dilema here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.