Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Canon ZR70MC digital video camera through Airmiles. When I opened the box, the wide angle lense adapter was missing. If I want to get the adapter I have to ship the whole package back, wait for processing and have another unit shipped to me (which includes being available on the day of delivery). This leads to the question...

Is the wide angle adapter useful? Does anyone here use one? Comments on the use of the adapter.

I didnt' even know it was included but since it is, should I hold out for it? If I do try to recover the adapter, I might not have the camera back in time for Christmas not to mention this weekend at Mt. Tremblant.

An alternative suggestion from Airmiles was that I purchase a lense adapter and they would reimburse me for the price at 10% of the cost in points. Calling Henry's revealed that the adapter is worth $180. Getting 18 airmiles isn't worth it, but is the adapter really worth $180?

Thanks is advance for any comments, suggestions on my rant/question?

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Believe it or not, it is actually quite usefull. I have one for my TRS-110 Sony D8 Handycam. There will be times you wish you could get everything in frame (inside or outside). It's very usefull and will come in handy. You won't regret it.

One thing — keep the lenses clean! Whatever dust/dirt there is on the lens(es) will be degrade image quality quickly. Of course, this goes without saying.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Definitely useful, but be aware that we are not talking about Nikon fluor glass lenses here... So expect a loss of light, serious 'barrel' distorsion on the edges and slight blurryness. One to have in the bag, but to avoid using unless in a small, preferably well lit, room.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I have the Canon ZR65 with the wide angle lens. It is a very nice lens when your in small rooms. Although you cant zoom very much when the lens is on without it losing focus

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
" ,,, Getting 18 airmiles isn't worth it, but is the adapter really worth $180? ..."

No, it's not.

Even if it was a very high quality lens, the most expensive part (glass) is much smaller on a movie camera than a still camera; it should be 1/3 the price of an equivalent 35mm lens.

You can buy such a thing for a 35mm camera for $60.

Think "inkjet ink" (which is, by the way, very useful. Not fairly priced, that's all).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts