Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Did your IMac screen develop STAINS UNDERNEATH ?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 80.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month after the warranty ended on my 27inch 2019 iMac in October 2020, dark dust stains started appearing in the lower corners BEHIND the screen, not the surface.

I have two 2012 iMacs running in the same room and they do not exhibit these stains.

Anybody else has this issue ?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
I have never seen anything like that. I would contact Apple immediately if you are just out of warranty as you may find a little grace from them, though I would not count on it. If it is the panel itself then probably pretty pricey to replace and might not be worth it for an iMac of that age.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

Thank you for your reply. On your recommendation I did email Apple asking to consider repairing at their expense. I'm doubtful but it's worth the chance.

I used the [email protected] address, (hasn't bounced back yet) if you know a more specific one I could use int this case, please let me know.

Thanks again

·
Registered
684 Posts
E-mail Tim Cook.

tcook @ apple.com

That's what I did a month after my Apple Care ran out on my Imac and the video died.

He doesn't answer personally. There is a team of people that handle that address.

You should get some resolution. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great tip, thank you so much !

I just emailed Mr Cook with this tittle :

"Request (A plea !) For Out Of Warranty Repair for Cause of Sudden Dust Stains Ruining 14 Month Old 27" iMac Screen"

I'll post with developments. Fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
1,751 Posts
My 2011 used to get that, but it was easy enough to clean, the front was held in place magnetically. Not sure if that's the case with the 2019 though.

·
Premium Member
5,425 Posts
E-mail Tim Cook.

tcook @ apple.com

That's what I did a month after my Apple Care ran out on my Imac and the video died.

He doesn't answer personally. There is a team of people that handle that address.

You should get some resolution. Good luck!
Funny enough I did the same thing when I purchased my 5K iMac. It was the first 5K iMac released and I had a bunch of trouble on my custom built iMac. I went through support at first and received a replacement, the replacement had the same issues and support escalated. I think they did not know what to do so all of a sudden it started taking them longer to do anything and they made no attempts and even diagnosing my issues. I sent Tim Cook an email and the next day I had a phone call from someone who Tim Cook passed my email on to. In a day I had a new iMac again and my issues were gone.

There is chat support for Apple products which is what I usually start with as lugging in a computer to an Apple store is a pain. That will probably be your fastest way to get any sort of answer.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/contact

·
Registered
684 Posts
Funny enough I did the same thing when I purchased my 5K iMac. It was the first 5K iMac released and I had a bunch of trouble on my custom built iMac. I went through support at first and received a replacement, the replacement had the same issues and support escalated. I think they did not know what to do so all of a sudden it started taking them longer to do anything and they made no attempts and even diagnosing my issues. I sent Tim Cook an email and the next day I had a phone call from someone who Tim Cook passed my email on to. In a day I had a new iMac again and my issues were gone.

There is chat support for Apple products which is what I usually start with as lugging in a computer to an Apple store is a pain. That will probably be your fastest way to get any sort of answer.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/contact
Nice!

I had a friend with a 5k iMac also issue with replacement. Recommended the e-mail route they called back and rectified right away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm sorry to report that my 2 emails to [email protected] and [email protected] were left unanswered. I didn't even receive an acknowledgment they received them. (Yes they were sent, got them in my Sent folder and No, their reply is not in my spam folder.)

I have to say being a Mac fan since '84 and having spent countless thousands on dollars in Apple gear, this feels like a kick in the gut.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

-----------------

P.S. Here's the unacknowledged message I sent Mr Cook :

Dear Mr Cook,

or to whom it may concern,

I’ve been an avid Mac user and local evangelist here in Canada since 1984.

My brand new (14 months ) 27" iMac’s screen is already near replacement stage because of some weird dark dust stains appearing BEHIND the screen.
I noticed it 10 days ago and it GROWS fast.

A month after the warranty ended on my 27 inch 2019 iMac in October 2020,(please see bill below) dark dust stains started appearing in the lower corners BEHIND the screen, not the surface. (Please see pictures)

Both our 2 2012 iMacs , 3 iPhones, 3 iPads and one LG 4K LCD TV in the same room are all perfectly fine and there’s been no environmental change in our condo.

A MUG poster in Canada where I asked for help suggested I email your office to resolve favourably an issue like this.

Thank you very much for considering this plea.

---------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts