Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two internal 300GB drives in my mac pro which need to be replaced with bigger drives. In the end, I want two internal 750GB drives and then I will run these two 300gb drives in an external case. Just wondering about the easiest way to transfer things over as I do have some 'in progress' projects that I can't lose. The enclosure I am getting is the Firemax dual Sata external enclosure. Problem is, the enclosure can be run to either raid the drives, run them as a single drive, or two separate drives. I'm assuming I would need to run them as two distinct drives to keep the data intact. I'm wondering though, if I choose the wrong settings, will I lose my data? Can I just swap it into the external case and it should work with any formatting changes or anything?

If there is a risk of losing data, what is the easiest way to duplicate these large files to a new drive? I seem to get a lot of errors when I just copy all the files and paste to a new location..
Thanks

G

·
SuperDuper is the way to go for sure. Keep them as separate drives initially, once you have your data off of them you're free to RAID them if you want :)

G

·
Also you should be able to just swap into the cases and work from them there with no real hassles until your projects are done (if that's what you were asking).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

All I need to do is get the internal drives into an external case and keep the data intact. I am worried that if I have the setting on the case wrong, it will delete everything and I will lose a lot of info. Is it that simple?

Just to be safe, I was thinking of putting the new drives in the external case, copying everything from the internals to the externals, then doing the swap. That way I have the data backed up. Superduper would be th way to go for that?

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

All I need to do is get the internal drives into an external case and keep the data intact. I am worried that if I have the setting on the case wrong, it will delete everything and I will lose a lot of info. Is it that simple?

Just to be safe, I was thinking of putting the new drives in the external case, copying everything from the internals to the externals, then doing the swap. That way I have the data backed up. Superduper would be th way to go for that?
Yes. Has the additional advantage that you would have the complete system installed as soon as you complete the final swap.

G

·
Yep that's a good way to go for sure. SuperDuper will do all of that and more. You can use the free version to do this, but I highly recommend buying it, it's cheap and the paid version unlocks some super handy stuff (like smart copy).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts