Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Mac Pro at home and I need a notebook for university. I will be mainly using the Book for school stuff... But I want to be able to use Logic Pro on it. I'm leaning more towards a fully upgraded Macbook. Will it run Logic well, or do I need the Pro for it. What about Final Cut Express?

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I think Logic would run fine on the Macbook. As far as Logic is concerned, it's almsot exactly the same (it's not like Logic is video intensive). BUT, Logic (and FCE) use up a lot of screen real estate. I'd recommend the MBP just for the bigger screen.

A7

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Logic would run fine on a MB -- the Tech Specs list any Intel CoreDuo.

The Screen Real Estate could be a problem -- but do you do LOT of editing on the road, or would it be mostly at home with the ability to hook up an external monitor?

FCE is also supported on MacBooks, (unlike the full FCP suite, which is only supported on MBPros.) So it too will run fine.

Looks like Screen real estate is your only concern -- you need to weigh out Field Editing capabilities vs. 2nd Screen at home vs. cost to upgrade to MBP vs. MB (~$1000 or so almost).

·
Registered
334 Posts
I bought a 2.2 C2D MBP as my first mac to take to school. Its awesome. The main reason I bought the MBP as opposed to the MB is the screen size! It will be my only computer for 3 years during the school year so I need a comfortable screen size. Otherwise I would have gone with the MB. I know your going to UWO so if you can (read: want) to bring your Cinema Display you can get the MB w/ external monitor in your dorm.

If you want to order a MB or MBP order it ASAP. They are backlogged and it will take a little while to get it prepared and shipped. Once it's shipped it takes 2-3 days to get to you.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
If you want to order a MB or MBP order it ASAP. They are backlogged and it will take a little while to get it prepared and shipped. Once it's shipped it takes 2-3 days to get to you.
The MBs too? I know the MBPs are backordered everywhere (LED screen supply issues, AFAIK).

I just checked the Apple Store -- and all 3 MAcBooks have 24 Hour Availability, vs. 7-10 Days :eek: for the MBPs. (That used to be 5-7 Days for the MBPs -- so maybe supplies are even more constrained :S )

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so now it's down to two things:
1 RAM - If I got the MBP I'd max it out to 4 gigs... The MB can only take up to two.
2 - CPU - What advantages does Santa Rosa have over... What's in MB... Merom?

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Both 'books have Merom chips -- MBPs have a different chipSET -- with theoretically a higher FSB 800Mhz vs. 667.

But the SR MBPs use the same ddr2-667 RAM and such -- so I dunno how much they take advantage of the faster FSB.

The RAM is an interesting deal -- you can put 4GB In the MBs, but they can only address 3GB. Some people have seem a minimal speed increase from 3GB to 4GB, even in the MBs (non-Pro), but probably just 'cause of the dual-channel memory boost.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The RAM is an interesting deal -- you can put 4GB In the MBs, but they can only address 3GB. Some people have seem a minimal speed increase from 3GB to 4GB, even in the MBs (non-Pro), but probably just 'cause of the dual-channel memory boost.
The MB can address 3 GB? You sure?I thought two was the most...

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I should also note that it's only the Core2 MBs that can address 3GB.... not the original CoreDuos.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Buy the 2.2ghz MBP. With the educational discount its $1999 pre tax in stock config (2gb ram, 120gb hd, etc) You get a free iPod Nano. If you can afford a MacPro as for first mac, you can get the MBP, its worth it.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Logic works great with 2Gb. Spend your RAM money on a backup firewire disk. And in that department, I'm loving my Lacie Rugged drive. no power supply, just plug in the firewire and go. pretty fast too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.