Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "For sale g5 dual 1.8 & 20 inch display.cheap" that attracted so much attention over last few days... Where did the thread go? Get the" You have requested a topic that does not exist! " message on it now, though the topic still displays after a search.
Did someone get either the box or screen? Was it legit? Who deleted the thread? It was from someone in Montreal, so I'd like to know in case more stuff is ever listed from ehMac member "Downtime"...

·
Registered
236 Posts
I communicated with him via email and telephone. Was ready to pay for the 20" LCD but he cancelled our deal because he found a buyer for both the computer and monitor. It was easier for him to complete the deal with one person. He gave me full details as to contact information and didn't "appear" to be hiding anything. I suppose he deleted the message thread himself . . . is that possible?

Perhaps the lucky buyer can declare himself. He was bombarded with emails.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Seems to have disappeared. According to "downtime's" email to me both had been sold. Curious as to the whereabouts of thread though.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
only the admins and moderators can delete a thread .. the original poster can delete the initial post but not the thread.

I too was wondering where this thread went .. and the ultimate results of the sale .. but somebody thought otherwise ..

·
Registered
399 Posts
it sounds like this downtime character played a few of us for chumps
. I was going to buy the whole system for $3700, and wasw planning a drive to montreal for it this weekend. We were even working out payment when he just sent me an email saying that it was sold. Poor ehMac manners, I'd say! Playing people along like that, I have better things to do with my time!

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Moderator's on ehMac make a habbit of deleting threads/posts and not leaving an explantion. I doubt even this thread wil get a response from proper ehMac authorites, if not deleted entirely without an explantion.

Not professional at all if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Downtime asked me to delete his own thread. He was turned off by the barrage of several overaggressive buyers who started hurling false accusations.

Threads or topics are very rarely deleted on ehMac. If appropriate, an explanation is given to the originator of the topic. It's not a moderator's obligation, nor do I think it's appropriate to post a public explanation to the entire forum every-time a moderator exercises their judgment.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Mr. Mayor I respect your decision, and nor do I think it's necessary to post a public explanation everytime.

But let me just say this:

how can misrepresenting himself to MULTIPLE buyers be a false accusation.

I will not deal with him again as he has proved himself to be untrustworthy.

I've said my peace

_F

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
How did he misrepresent himself? Is it really the case that details of the deal were such that he 100% guaranteed to sell to anyone here or is it that people are upset that they didn't get in on a really good deal?

If someone is getting multiple offers on a piece of equipment, they CAN pick and choose who they want to sell it too. I'd be inclined not to sell to someone who was being rude and over-aggressive.

It's quite common to entertain multiple buyers when selling privately. All too often several people jump on a sale and then back out. I've been burned several times when trying to sell something... several people express they really want to buy it. I pick someone to sell it to and tell the others it's sold... then the buyer than backs out of the deal.

It's a complaint I've had several times in fact from people selling items on ehMac. They've made a deal and a buyer backs out. Same for buyers wanting to make a deal and the seller chooses to sell to someone else.

Unless something is implemented like a formal auction system on ehMac, it's bound to happen sometimes. I'm willing to entertain ideas. (Time is a real scarcity at the moment to implement those ideas, but in time...)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Gang,

I am the hopeful buyer regarding downtime's system.
I have communicated with him via both phone and email, and he has been pleasant and prompt in responding.

He did mention he was inundated with inquires (hence his desire to remove the thread), and was suprised at how quick some members were to "judge" whether the deal was on the level or not.

Anyways, payment is to arrive tomorrow, and the system is then headed my way.

I'll be sure and let everyone know how it goes !

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was one of the people interested in the LCD. I definately wasn't trying to be rude towards downtime. I was a little upset that I wasn't officially notified it was being sold to someone else. Instead I had to publicly inquire to get an answer. :(

But as I said I didn't take it personally. He sold the two items together which is what I think he was looking to do in the first place.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for clearing the air a bit. The thread just disappearing made the whole thing seem even more suspicious...Personally, I think threads like this should stand as is, perhaps locked when the item is sold-they often give a pretty indication of some citizens' characters, hints of whom perhaps to avoid or whom to consider for other deals. Ditto with completed deals where the offering/initial price is replaced with a SOLD...we lose another view at what a similar item might be worth/go for, etc. As before, there was obviously too much gratuitious commentary in a for sale thread-things that should be expressed or asked of the seller via email or pm, rather than in a public forum...Otherwise this whole enterprise descends to Usenet newsgroup levels ;) the Horror!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, fellow EhMac-er's, things dont look good.

After continued promises that "it will be shipped today", I still dont have the system, and he of course has the money.

If I dont receive absolute confirmation that the sytem has shipped tomorrow (Thursday), I'll take appropriate action.

sigh....

:mad:

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Sorry to hear about that man ... I hope everything works out OK. I don't like to burn somebody's thread but something just didn't "feel" right and I thought I would "voice" my concern in the original thread.

I guess I offended the seller a bit by doing that as he sent me a few nasty emails saying so, but it just reinforced the thought that something wasn't on the up-and-up. He never offered proof and just called me names for "ruining" his thread. I guess he didn't appreciate the fact that somebody might point out the truth.

I hope this works out for the better ... for you and the overall trust of this board

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
thats horrible..
perhaps its the same guy ripping people off from former 'macwhizhsop.com' spoken about Mac Rumors Forum

How did you pay?
If you paid via CC call them immediatley and have them do a charge back..

If for some reason you piad via bank money transfer/western union..... yikes

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Oh Lord, Macmaniac. I hope all ends well for you.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
I dunno. The fact the guy is still responding to email is an indicator that things may work out.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
ask the mods here to check the ip address of the original host...
track the s-o-b

I dont think this is gonna work out, seemed to good to be true...
Threaten to call the authorities...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.