Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The FedEx guy just brought my dual G5 about 40 minutes ago, and man is this sucker big, and industrial-like. The words "heavy duty" come to mind. It is nearly silent thus far, but it's just idling of course.

Added a pair of DIMMs (gee that fan assembly pulls out easily), the interior is so unique, and clean looking. Feels real quick just clicking around, but way too early for any real testing.

I'll be up late tonight, I think I'll partition the HD, reinstall the OS, and get rid of all that trial MS Office crap in doing so. Can't wait to try Wolfenstein, and Medal Of Honor. Much work ahead, but it's the good kind of work.

This is my first top-of-the-line Mac ever, and I've had many Macs over the years. I'm a bit overwhelmed with it all.

-Howie

• G5 2.0 MP, ATI 9600 Pro, Combo Optical, 2048 RAM •

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Damn nice machine! Congrats, dude! Now... why are you so rich? :D

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I got my first look-see at a G5 in person today at Red Tag in Mississauga... Man is it quiet... more room inside than I expected, the internet picture do not do it justice...

It is not as ugly in person as I thought... Demo Panther had way too much crap running that did not really interest me, but I am impressed...

I would love to see one cherried out for a prepress environment and put it to a real world test...

I am going to a G5/Quark 6 demo tomorrow, I might be getting one at work sooner rather than wait ing for Panther....

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>Put a pair of Raptors in a Level Zero - THEN it smokes.

That's going to be difficult, I think my wife locked my VISA card in a safety deposit box. Heh, kidding... sort of.

-Howie

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
We just got our first shipment of dual machines today. I'm unpacking mine a bit later as I have to deliver a few to customers.

I have one lucky guy with a dual machine, 4 gigs of RAM and two 23" Cinema displays.

·
Premium Member
30,929 Posts
Well JAMG that's what the Test drive is for. "Cherried out" for whatever you want to try.
Hope we get a DP soon too tho' is a pile of
to send on tour.

•••••
GWillikers you still haven't seen it go as it's likely you are only getting 1/2 of your potential drive performance which is the weak spot in the G5s.
Put a pair of Raptors in a Level Zero - THEN it smokes. :eek:
When you think about how much your drive system gets used spending a couple hundred to get it right on a $4k system makes sense. :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I have one lucky guy with a dual machine, 4 gigs of RAM and two 23" Cinema displays.
HOLY YIKES! ok I need a Gaemlin agape with bug eys and tongue hanging out - but this will do

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
You know you have money, when...

·
Registered
470 Posts
sjd, I bet you're already dreaming about a dual monitor setup, right?

We just went that route with one of ours. It's a nice solution. In some ways, it's as good as our HD display.

Pleasant dreams!

I'm suitably envious of your new toy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts