fans = airflow
airflow = cooling

more fans = more airflow
more airflow = more cooling

;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'VE GOT THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH THE EXACT SAME MACHINE!!! FW800 Dual 1.25 Power Mac. :eek: Here's my thread that I just posted a little while ago.
http://www.ehmac.com/cgi_bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001057

Watch/listen to the video. I'm probably going to contact Apple on Monday and get this checked out.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> We worked really hard and went over the systems to find every possible way to make the system quieter," said Tom Boger, Director, Power Mac Product Marketing. "I'm happy to tell you that we've done that -- when the systems get out in the marketplace, I'm sure our customers are going to be delighted at how quiet these systems are."

About the FW800s:

"They are significantly quieter -- these will answer the critics," added Joswiak. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quite a lie. Problem with quality control, shipping, etc? This'll help in my case with Apple on Monday. Does your Dualy sound like the one in the video?

g4noise.com -- people are saying that they've gotten Apple to send them Papst fans to replace the faulty Deltas (not getting mixed up with the 1st gen MDDs and the voluntary replacement program by the way -- talking about people with FW800s).

Check out that link/video. http://www2.mac-tv.de/Downloads/S105_Geraeuschtest_free.mov Damn thing cost so much, therefore should work up to snuff of the promises made by Apple. I can't even begin to imagine what the 1st gen MDDs sound like without fan replacements. SHUDDERS!!! CRINGES!!!

Solution: Bark at Apple. People with the new machines are still in the same boat as those with 1st gen MDDs -- dealing with leafblowers. They lied and must stand up and fix the problem. Too much cash has been sunk into the purchase -- it should work as advertised/promised. If they say they will not help you, keep on barkin'. Customer wins or else exploitation -- like g4noise.com -- will garner a wide and ever increasing vocal audience.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tomac, it's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one. I've checked inside the machine and found that the 120mm CPU fan appears to generate the majority of the noise, whiche is not the hiss of airflow but a persistant and irritating whine. It appears from others' experiences on the g4noise site that fans made by Delta, as indeed, mine is, have been the problem. Have you looked ate yours? I'm going to contact Apple and see if they'll send me a replacement. I'll let you know how it turns out!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah, I tried it but it denied it as one would expect with an FW800. My serial starts with XB304, which I believe from the second week of production or so -- first FW800 Power Macs started with XB303. Gathered this from posters on different boards.

Hope I can get the Delta relaced with a Papst like some others are receiving from Apple for their FW800s -- rare cases.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
I saw a 1.25DP today with the same deal. Loud.

The thing is that the powersupply fan (not the technical term) that is part of the volentary recall is not the problem.

The noise is coming from the 'Delta' fan that cools the dual processor heat sinks.

You can talk and talk to Apple and see where you get.

How much is a fan anyway?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mississauga:
Just out of curiousity, have either of you tried to plug in your serial numbers in the Apple Support site for noisy MDDs? I wonder if they're applicable?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just tried it...says the fix is not applicable to my computer...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Got the (now) damn Dual Mac checked out for sound today. The person checking it out -- Barrie's North Star Computers -- said "little louder than normal but within spec" to both the hard drive ratta-tat-tat and the "DRONE" noise that walls seem to absorb and can be heard throughout multiple rooms. He'd only been able to COMPARE the noise to a REALLY nasty "leafblower" Dual 1GHz (first rev MDD) and guessing at what Apple meant by "quieter" when they released the FW800s on Jan 28. Of course my machine should sound quieter! He had an old graphite G4 and the thing was superb in terms of sound -- just the hiss of the fans pushing air. That's what I want. The power supply fans/unit is supposedly what's making the drone noise. I can't believe he said the Seagate Barracuda was acceptable. Couldn't move ahead unless Apple thought that fixes were needed -- didn't want any chance of getting billed. Understandable, but it creates a HUGE run-around. So next week I'm taking the Dual to another service provider to get their thoughts are on it. One of the big problems is that none of these providers has a "quiet" room that would emulate one's home -- whatever noise is coming from my Power Mac is being cancelled/mixed with sounds from other computers and such in their business. There was a PC (P4) they were selling and on display and it was freakin' quiet compared to my damn Power Mac.

Tra-la-la-la-dum-dee-dee. Once again this quote is pure BS:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"We worked really hard and went over the systems to find every possible way to make the system quieter," said Tom Boger, Director, Power Mac Product Marketing. "I'm happy to tell you that we've done that -- when the systems get out in the marketplace, I'm sure our customers are going to be delighted at how quiet these systems are."

About the FW800s:

"They are significantly quieter -- these will answer the critics," added Joswiak. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am stunned that the first generation MDDs could make it into the marketplace. Shop-Vac anyone, right in your face? That's what they sound like, truth. The MOST EMBARRASSING APPLE PRODUCT I'VE SEEN IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!. :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

These -- my -- second gen MDD(s) are an embarrassment and harassment to the user.

C'mon Apple, shove some dual procs into a Cube and start sellin' it. I'd be first in line.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tomac, that's disappointing news. I haven't done anything yet. I'm surprised to hear that the Seagate is loud; I have a 40GB Barracuda and it's virtually silent. My 1.25 shipped with an IBM drive, which scares the crap out of me, because of the danger of the "click of death". Seagates are way more reliable...you should be glad you got that drive instead of the IBM. I can't hear my drives over the whine of the 120mm fan...and my own frustration.

Not only that...my 17" Studio Display has gone wonky...looks like a loose connection with the red channel...everything goes blue. Tap the screen, and it shifts back to normal. Tap again...blue. I've got a case number and will be bringing it in for service.

Did I get an Apple or a lemon?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hey macdoc, thanks for replying to this whole mess. Could you possibly explain what the FW800s you've heard sound like -- similar to mine with the DDDDRRRROOOOONNEEEEE? As for my Seagate Barracuda V ratta-tat-tatting, what SHOULD they sound like? You'd know better than anyone here I'd guess.

Many thanks if you could expand on this, macdoc, because I've gotten limited input on these FW800s.

Either everyone's been brainwashed by Apple's latest promise of "these will answer the critics", or people are getting real quiet machines. To bad I was brainwashed into their deceitful promises in the first place. I hope it was true about Apple hiring a new acoustic engineer for their Power Mac line. They sure as heck need someone gettin' down and dirty with these rigs and finding a solution to this still existent mess.

·
Premium Member
31,036 Posts
Well we see lots of machines.
The latest and last round of 867s were civilized compared to the first bunch.

We had one 1.25 X only that seemed okay but the one today was awful.

My Seagate 120 in my Cube does have a bit of head clatter but it runs cool and the 8 meg cache is a treat.
The Seagates do seem the quietest with the head clatter exception on this big drive.
The 40 gig and 60 WD w 8 meg cache seems very quiet and very fast. :D

Bottom line I can't understand Apple's issues with the fans. The PC guys have smartened up - Apple goes counter trend

Good biz for us when a serious fix comes but we shouldn't be fixing Apple design problems :mad:

·
Registered
259 Posts
MasterBlaster. 100% agreement! It's "like" the sound gets absorbed into the walls and "flows" throughout the house.

It's scary thinking about how flawed these Apple products are in noise and the many that buy them for creative purposes. I think I might not wear my "Macintosh equals Productivity" t-shirt, cause the noise gets in the head and just deadens my mind.

Yeeeesh. I walk up to a Dell, and say "what the hell... it's silent." My Mac should be beatin' the Dell to death in ALL fields.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Anyone else have the drone/whine problem?

I've posted on MacNN tapping users globally -- need to build my case further.

I slaved almost to death -- heatstroke -- to scrounge and buy this Power Mac, and I can and will survive/overcome this run-around BS that's going on. I'm not a "second class citizen." Feels good to put/see this on screen. Another goal has been set and will be met.

·
Premium Member
31,036 Posts
We were surpised the 2nd gen were no quieter :mad:
The good news is there is a serious quieting kit on the way but it will cost.$$$
This entire issue is a real surprise from Apple after the Cube.
The 1.2 gHz Cube upgrade is looking tempting :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.