Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a new server for an elementary school. We have around 50 iMacs and 600 users. With the recent price drops the dual 1.25 is much cheaper than the single xServe, as well as having much cheaper parts such as extra hard drives. With the dual processors would it have better performance than the single xServe? It would be used ofr some application serving, maybe netbooting and of course file serving. we would be running the newest Jaguar server software.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I have heard that the Xserve is even louder than the G4s. It's made to be put in a rack in a server room.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Well, if you care my opinion is this:

If you can live the Xserve noise and mount it in a rack its the better way to go.

I realize the pricing on the PowerMacs is very attractive right now however I don't expect the Xserve to be without a G5 for long.

Also the Xserve is desined as a SERVER, not a desktop masquerating as one. The hardware monitoring, redudancy, and failover abilites are worth the cost.

Since you are planning for netbooting and other critical stuff don't skimp on the server just to save a few bucks. This is a critical element of your infrastructure and should not be taken lightly.

I've seen too many problems using desktop machines as servers in critical environtments to recommned against them. The Xserve unlike any other model will automatically reboot in the event of a freeze or crash. I've never seen a desktop able to do this without some extra hardware.

Uptime should be your mantra. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts