Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is probably just me, but a buddy sold me a Linksys DSL Router. I am not sure why he got rid of it it was almost new...probably needed the do re me...

Anyway - was running the Sympatico through a couple of hubs to two Macs and a couple of printers...

With the Router I swear (As I am known to do, but not here LOL) my speed has doubled.

First, isn't it lovely NOT to have to use Access Manager - which you don't need. A client of mine Sasktel who are one of the leaders in ADSL - don't use anything like Access manager - that is a lovely little bit of junk brought to you by Ma Bell.. Thanks Ma... I needed that - like you driving me to my first date. Sheeeesh!

Anywhoo the router does all the neat and nasty stuff it is supposed to do and no ACCESS MANAGER. Plus real easy to set up - web based interface one- two - three...presto. man I love when shit works (See I lied I do swear here LOL)

This has really added a speed boost.

So cool. :D

·
Registered
719 Posts
My friendlyNet router works like a charm, but I can't say that I've noticed any speed improvements.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Probably because the router is a switch instead of a hub, and is full duplex instead of half.

So info goes to where it was requested and the ports can send and recieve data at the same time. I noticed a bit of a bump after I changed from a Hub to a router too.

--PB

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
"... A client of mine Sasktel who are one of the leaders in ADSL - don't use anything like Access manager ..."

When the SaskTel installer left after he ran the phone line to my Mac, I took the modem out of the box and plugged in. I fired up OSX (it was already configured for Ethernet and DHCP) and opened IE. I'm on the net.

An hour later the computer tech arrived to "set up" my internet connection. I took his sheet with the eMail addresses & passwords and sent him on his way. He billed SaskTel $35 and never even set foot in the same room as my computer. Too easy.

The Linksys supports full duplex and is a switch (not a hub). Your net connection isn't a bit faster, but the routing of that connection is. What you are seeing is simply the removal of all the overhead your Ethernet network was dealing with before.

For example if Mac A asked for a webpage, that request went to all the other computers and printers as well and they each had to think for a while to see if it was for them or not; and as the page was downloaded it did the same.

With a switch it goes directly to your modem through the router, and the requested page is sent directly back to the correct computer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts