Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, this is from a rumour site, but mmmmmmmm... good cookin'. I hope my current Power Mac won't be COMPLETELY demolished in terms of speed WHENEVER the new rigs come out. :D I'll feel really sorry for those who have the most current Apple laptops -- they're in desperate need of oomph, current ones don't cut it in terms of portable pow'. <<< versus P4 M in pure horse when you need it, but Apple wups EVERYONE in design. Dual PowerMacs are JUST BARELY staying somewhat in line with top P4s. Of course, you will NEVER get the experience that OS X gives -- nothing comes close to Apple in that aspect.

Mac OS X = Priceless.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Many have been curious about OS X 10.3, which is due out in September. Yes, it will be designed to pave the way for 64-bit IBM PowerPC 970 processors, will include a major new iChat release, will increase performance in several different ways, will include the final release of Safari, and will indeed carry with it a $129 price tag as a full yearly Apple OS X release. Many more details will begin to emerge with the first alpha-level builds due out in the next several weeks, and we should see a detailed public preview of 10.3 between May and July.

*Much speculation has emerged about the IBM PowerPC 9800 processor, a high-end design that the company is developing from the POWER5 family (the PPC 970 "G5" is a POWER4 derivative) which will include four processor cores, Altivec, and many other dramatic improvements. Although it is closer to the high-end server/workstation space than the 970, it too already appears to be targeted in such a way that it could become the high-end G6 Mac processor at a time (late 2004/early 2005) when the G5 will be becoming mainstream and the G4 will be relegated only to portable products. We will be examining this further in the days ahead; in the mean time, if any readers or industry insiders have insights as to whether the 9800 might or might not be a suitable processor for the Mac platform, we're all ears!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I started out on Macs with a G3 Pismo Powerbook, and it never seemed slow to me. I now have a G4 tower and it seems to be a bit faster. Show me a G6 with 64 bit architecture and I will probably be in hog heaven. :cool:

I'm saving my centavos as we speak. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts