Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow!

I was totally blown away today by the Adobepresentation by Sebastian at the Carlu Theatre in Toronto.

Those dual G5s running with XServe Raids were rockin!

Even as a beta, Adobe CS is amazing.

Panther wasn't too shabby either! Apple Canada's presentation only touched on it.

Desktop printers are back, woohoo.
Protected memory is awesome.
Expose is really nice.
Networking is enhanced.

Too much to mention it all, but both are definitely worthwhile upgrades.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm glad I went.
I think you would have enjoyed it as well.

I had to see it to believe it. A 1Gb video file transfer from the XServe Raid to the G5 in a few short seconds. Almost instant Photoshop transforms and filters. Lots more.

Drool......

It's an exciting time for Apple and its design partners!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ya, nearly forgot.

For the gamers.
The Quake demo running at max speed on the dualG5 was unreal.
A 90 second demo ran in a few seconds.
They were saying max frame rates of 400!

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the total disaster the Quark session turned out to be.

I can't beleive I sat there through over 1 hour of stuff on synchronized text. That part should have taken 5 minutes, max.

Oh, I forgot, Quark 6 has like 2 new features: Synced text and it runs on OS X now...

Anyhow, poor guy wasn't prepared for the barrage of negative comments and irate customers. I thought the whole thing was going to turn ugly...

People made some valid points about the licensing (or lack of foretought) and the best was "give me a reason to stay loyal"

I switched to InDesign over 2 years ago and I'm not going back ever. The new CS version looks positively mouth-watering. Sebastian and Rick's demos on InDesign were the most well-attended off-line. Sebastian always gives good demos, he knows the print products like the back of his hand.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Yeah, I was booked to go, but client work got in the way.

I would have liked to seen the Quark vs. ID 2 demos and discussions.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
trev - I think the audience was a bit biased :eek:

I felt sorry for him.
If I was a Quark user, I would have probably felt more like many in the audience.

Adobe's suite philosophy is the way of the future.

I'm going to order the premium upgrade asap.
Are you?

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
There is no comparison between Quark and InDesign.

Totally different programs and mindsets. Quark is efficient but very limited in features (requires lot of extra plug-ins to actually make it useful) and InDesign is a designers dream come true.

Feature-wise InDesign wins every single time. Quark is a faster program overall however its not doing anywhere near the amount of stuff that InDesign is doing.

The new InDesign CS however fixes the speed issue (50-80% faster on just about everything) and the seps preview and ink management functions are worth it alone. Not to mention the other 200+ extra features over Quark...

Anyhow, whatever you chose both are good but from an economic standpoint the CS suite is a better buy compared to a single copy of Quark.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
I feel sorry for the guy too howevver EVERY single user in that place has used or is using Quark at some time.

Not everyone is using InDesign (I know, most of my customers are still using 4.1). Yes I came out of there with the feeling of the Aodbe "love-fest" however all the people around me during the Quark session were shaking their heads and making deragatory comments about the program and the company.

Lots of "they've shot themselves in the foot", "what the hell are they thinking?", "why to they waste their time with web features" and so on...

After the session I went straight back to the InDesign demo Rick was giving (following a ton of others from the Quark demo) and just sat there and listened to people. I'd say most were going to give InDesign CS a go.

It takes a good venue like this to let people know about alternatives. Just telling people is not good enough, you have to show them. The biggest problem about adoption right now is the output houses not being up to snuff or having the time to be trained on the new stuff.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Sebastian is a wonderful presenter, I have seen him before... I would have gone but we have been too busy this week...

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
re ID CS;

did anyone see or hear anything re: poor speed of postscript file creation in ID 2 vs. Quark?

not having tested ID CS, yet, if would be very userful to know

thanx

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
"re: poor speed of postscript file creation in ID 2 vs. Quark?"

Real world tests will come in dribs and drabs... Unfortunatly, Quark claims Ps files for distilling is unneccesary because of Quark 6's integration with Jaws PDF... so you should just Export to PDf directly...

I have not heard any glowing reviews, yet...

Adobe also claims that direct export to PDF is fine in ID2... Funny they are still selling Acrobat though...

{I know Acrobat does more...}

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
so you should just Export to PDf directly...
yeah, i know, but i still trust postscript files over PDF files, at least for now, especially with older RIPs out there

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
PDF/X1a and PDF/X3 are industry standard ISO specs that prevent any problems with PDF files destined to print houses.

Sebastian explained very clearly that ALL of the CS suite supports those formats so if you use those you wil not have any problems. Plus, with Acrobat pro and validation tools there isn't any chance your PDF will crap out since it will either pass or fail the ISO spec. If you use those formats for your jobs you're guaranteed a good PDF.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
How did you guys hear about the seminar? I didn't hear about it but would like to have gone.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You know, after yesterdays presentations by Adobe and Quark, I think QuarkXpress may really be dead.

For me, the guys presenting the products were like mini-summaries of the the companies and their products themselves.

The Apple and Adobe guys, like the products they were selling, were very smooth, polished, well-prepared salesman, very comfortable with themselves, their products and with presenting to a large audience.

The others, Extensis, HP, GretagMacbeth and Quark, were clearly not in the same league both in their product presentations and the people making them.

I also felt badly for the Quark guy making the presentation but after 15 minutes or so of hearing his second rendition of "synchronized text" (the first rendition came a couple of hours earlier in a brief introduction) I realized that this guy, and Quark in general, had nothing else to say. I'm sorry but Quark's rep seemed very green, unpolished, uninformed and disinterested in his own product. How am I supposed to get excited about the new Quark 6.0 if the guy selling it isn't? Unfortunately, for me, and I think many others, I saw that guy as a reflection of the company he is working for and the product he is selling. Deliberate, predictable and non-taxing maybe but at the same time clumsy, sedate, unprepared and disinterested. And costly. Bye bye Quark. Thanks for coming. Where's that Adobe rep?

Adobe is very obviously excited about their products and so are their reps. I have to admit, that excitement got me (and many of the other attendees) excited too. As mentioned, Sebastian really knows his stuff and his software and is very adept at making you feel that it doesn't make sense for you not to have his product. Very progressive and very smooth. Like the product he's selling. I wonder if the software runs as smoothly when not on a raided Dual G5? Given Sebastian's regular reference to the speed of the Apple-supplied system he was using' I'd guess not. Still, the presentation package was impressive.

Personally, I am not a big fan of monopolies and as someone else has said, Adobe is definitely becoming the MS of the design-based software world. But some of their stuff sure is cool and if it ends up cutting down on production times and establishing some semblance of reliability, what are ya gonna do? Quark 4 is brutal in classic mode and I ain't spending 1000 bucks to see if I can get 6.0 to work in Jaguar/Panther. Looks to me like Creative Suite already does AND, my 1000 bucks get me FIVE new design-oriented and integrated programs.

Now, if I could just find a thousand bucks.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I did not mean to endorse the Export PDF Directly route... I have yet to see it work...

Real World... Print to PS file and Distill is the only reliable PDf metheod...

Adobe and Quark are nuts...

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
sharkman you said it better than me

I agree with you re: the image projected by all the companies present. Adobe is corporate all the way but has the best interests for the design community in mind with relevant features and improvements for their lineup.

The way Quark was represented at the show did them a HUGE disservice in the mind of the attendess at the show. I don't know if this is a sign of a failing company or just not being prepared for an important show targeted at exactly the people who are in the market, but from the reactions I saw at the show I think most have finally realized that things are not what they used to be and that's starting to sink in.

I hate to keep beating a dead horse but I've been telling my customers that for 3 years now. Looks like the prophecy is coming true to a certain extent.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Adobe is corporate all the way but has the best interests for the design community in mind...
i think that is a little extreme

i would say that Adobe has finally woken up to the fact that nobody is going to pay $1,000 each for Photoshop, Illustrator and ID.

Adobe is using M$'s Office model. At $1,000 for the suite, they have a real shot at the market, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Quark is still entrenched into the DTP and printing markets and are not doing themselves any favours of late.

This marketplace is like a large oil tanker and will take a long time to turn around.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts