Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drive crashed on my Macbook. Boo hoo, I was backed up, now I can upgrade :D

Question is, I bought a new WD 320gb to install. I also want to upgrade to Snow Leopard. Do I need to install the version from the disk(pre2007) that came with my notebook first and then upgrade or does the $35 upgrade allow me to install it on a compatible machine without an OS already there?

Thanks!
John

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
My drive crashed on my Macbook. Boo hoo, I was backed up, now I can upgrade :D

Question is, I bought a new WD 320gb to install. I also want to upgrade to Snow Leopard. Do I need to install the version from the disk(pre2007) that came with my notebook first and then upgrade or does the $35 upgrade allow me to install it on a compatible machine without an OS already there?

Thanks!
John
I'm pretty sure you need to have an OS on the machine already as it's an 'upgrade' for SL.
I would recommend restoring your back-up to the new drive, then upgrade.

... though I could be wrong, and would encourage anyone to correct me if I am.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
You can install the $35 Snow Leopard operating system on a blank drive without issue. Installing the OS from the original discs first would be a huge waste of time. Mind you, SL does not install iLife or any other bundled software that originally came with the MacBook (iLife would be installed by the original discs that shipped with your MacBook, for example, along with any other bundled software). If, however, 100% of your data was backed up, including applications, this is a non-issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.